Blue Devils 2017 Show Announcement

Don't all the corps let each other know what they are playing?  Seems that would be a good idea if so.  

I do not know how the members feel about each other from both corps but later in life I have made real good friends of SCV people.  I love that there is a joint show at Stanford and the BBQ portion before the show is quite an event I look forward to each year.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Wonder if this was pre planned by each corps.

I highly doubt it, Ghost. Corps are so singulary protective of what they intend to do these days now, thats its inconceivable that BD and SCV colluded on the idea to both play the same song this summer in performance competition vs one another and with others.

Edited by BRASSO

1 hour ago, flammaster said:

Don't all the corps let each other know what they are playing?  Seems that would be a good idea if so.  

I do not know how the members feel about each other from both corps but later in life I have made real good friends of SCV people.  I love that there is a joint show at Stanford and the BBQ portion before the show is quite an event I look forward to each year.

Wish i could make a trip from where i am to come... :sad:

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

I highly doubt it, Ghost. Corps are so singulary protective of what they intend to do these days now, thats its inconceivable that BD and SCV colluded on the idea to both play the same song this summer in performance competition vs one another and with others.

I posted this on the SCV thread yesterday when someone there raised the issue of both NoCal corps playing the same source music.

"DCi directors know what each other's corps will be playing or so has been the practice at a winter discussion meeting for years now. There is a favorite story about  Royer, and others arguing about the same picks well back in the '80's. As a result Vanguard changed their program mid winter. With the current licensing requirements and monies involved for that I would presume the close door, no disclosure discussion still takes place"

That's my experience and I'm sticking with it..

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, xandandl said:

I posted this on the SCV thread yesterday when someone there raised the issue of both NoCal corps playing the same source music.

"DCi directors know what each other's corps will be playing or so has been the practice at a winter discussion meeting for years now. There is a favorite story about  Royer, and others arguing about the same picks well back in the '80's. As a result Vanguard changed their program mid winter. With the current licensing requirements and monies involved for that I would presume the close door, no disclosure discussion still takes place"

That's my experience and I'm sticking with it..

Why would 2 Corps want to knowingly decide to play the same song in competition with one another, and in competition with other Corps ? I don't quite see the benefit of such an agreed collusion to do something like this. What benefit (s) do each of the 2 Corps gets from this arrangement ? And what would the two Corps in such an arrangement get collectively over the others who did not make such a duo arrangement ? I guess I'm trying to understand the benefits of such, but not quite grasping it at the moment. Care to elaborate on the perceived benefit(s ) of 2 corps getting together to agree to play the same song in competition ?

Edited by BRASSO

33 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Why would 2 Corps want to knowingly decide to play the same song in competition with one another, and in competition with other Corps ? I don't quite see the benefit of such an agreed collusion to do something like this. What benefit (s) do each of the 2 Corps gets from this arrangement ? And what would the two Corps in such an arrangement get collectively over the others who did not make such a duo arrangement ? I guess I'm trying to understand the benefits of such, but not quite grasping it at the moment. Care to elaborate on the perceived benefit(s ) of 2 corps getting together to agree to play the same song in competition ?

It's a 16 minute piece being crunched into an 11 minute show. Your word to Ghost was collusion, a word smack with evil underhanded motive. Perhaps there are processes at work beyond your opinion.  

1. They may not be playing the same parts of the same composition.

2. They have already announced that they are jointly performing several exhibitions this summer. Perhaps they will be playing from this piece together, the way that Boston played with Madison a few years back, Crown has combined with others, Cadets have combined with others, and Spirit and Crossmen have joined hornlines many times.

Unless their design staffs are specifically asked, you are opining based on a guess. I acknowledge that I don't know their motives, do not think it is collusion but may be co operation for another purpose.

End of my posts for today.

Edited by xandandl