Why don't corps compose their own music?

14 minutes ago, UKSuperman said:

Add SCV 2003 to the list of original composed music. Key Poulan.

Which part of that show was original music?   Opener and closer were Orawa, drum feature was One Man Show, I think the ballad was Anima Mundi.   

4 hours ago, Hrothgar15 said:

The problem with music composed for drum corps (with some notable exceptions) is simply that music with only one purpose is not as high quality or as thoughtful as music meant to be heard and performed in multiple contexts. It's usually composed in a much more rushed timeframe, less of it is composed (only enough to fit the show), and is written under severe constraints in order to fit the visual program. In fact, much drum corps original music comes across as "sound effects" that serve as a background to whatever drill move or body movement is being performed. 

Much like so called movie music!  Just sound effects for the action.  Ironically drum corps take movie music to the field, which, in effect ends up being sound effects for the drill.

Bob P.

2 hours ago, UKSuperman said:

Add SCV 2003 to the list of original composed music. Key Poulan.

Which parts?

Also add Madison 1997 (opener and closer I believe).

You can go to corpsreps.com and look up original music.  There's a long list there.  Then you look at each corps, and you sorta need to know staff name's et cetera.

There's quite a bit of original music that has been done over the years and it continues even today as evidenced by Madison's show and likely other shows.

6 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

You can go to corpsreps.com and look up original music.  There's a long list there.  Then you look at each corps, and you sorta need to know staff name's et cetera.

There's quite a bit of original music that has been done over the years and it continues even today as evidenced by Madison's show and likely other shows.

the reason corps continue to use music from composers of great music is..well..those guys are/were composers of great music.  

seems pretty obvious to me.   

great music > meh music.  

i'd like to see Crown acquire exclusive use of someone like Sparke or PLC.  That would be GREAT for Crown -- maybe not so good for those guys :-) 

OTOH I have no idea why these design teams don't commission works by those guys.  yeah you need a lot of initial lead time on a design idea (2 or 3 years) but my god could you imagine what you'd get?  and cost-wise it's not that much different than licensing some of their music to begin with!!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 3

Just now, DrumManTx said:

I love love love what Markworth did for Crossmen last year.  

I just think we are going to see more and more of original music with the growing difficulties of attaining rights.

1 minute ago, BoaDci said:

I just think we are going to see more and more of original music with the growing difficulties of attaining rights.

I hear your logic but I just don't see it happening (which in the end is probably a good thing). 

• Like 2