A California Year?

9 minutes ago, RetiredMusTeach said:

Since I'm relatively new to drum corps, these kind of comments always intrigue me and I want to know more.  Do you know what caused this?  Is it all drum corps, or just DCI-affiliated drum corps?

A variety of things caused this, RetiredMus Teach. DCI does have representation in DCI in the Open Class and I believe Soundsport, But no longer in its Premier Division, the World Class Division. DCI over the years has had several World Class Division Corps that were good enough to qualify for the elite Top 12 status, but nothing close to this anymore.

• Like 1

Real funny story about SCV 99 was the Half Moon Bay parade and I took my son who was 4.  He was standing on an elevated porch doing his Steve Rondinaro impersonation announcing the "Bangardens" as he called them and I struck up a conversation with the SCV director and I told him I was thinking that it will be a tie with BD/SCV.

Man if that didn't happen.

Been reading all the corps threads and camp reports 

Sounds like everyone will finish in first with only a disappointed few left placing second!

Those who haven't bought big name staff have either recruited even better staff, enjoyed massive camp attendance or have a show theme so special it is super top secret! Others are celebrating key anniversaries or building on 2016 momentum!!

woo hoo!!!

• Like 1

Blue Devils winning is never a bold prediction. What would shock people is BD falling below 2nd. SCV does seem to have preseason momentum, and quite a few believe that since both are celebrating anniversaries, we could see great things. However, for SCV to place in the top three, let alone win, one corps has to fall. Just as Crown had a huge act to follow in 2014, Bloo has that same challenge this year. It could be more difficult for Bluecoats since their all about being innovative, but if I had to predict whether Crown or Bluecoats falls from the top three, I would have to say Crown. Crown will have amazing brass, maybe things will improve a bit as far as percussion is concerned, but visually they will have challenges with key colorguard departures. The strength of Crown's brass and visual have often made up for lower placing percussion. If visual/guard is compromised, this could make things difficult.

2 hours ago, Wildabeast said:

Heh, California takes top 2 spots in both World Class and Open Class between both organizations?

It could happen.

*cough* 2009-2010....Both BD corps undefeated, both years running.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wildabeast said:

Heh, California takes top 2 spots in both World Class and Open Class between both organizations?

It could happen.

I, for one, would love to see this happen.  But.  Looking back a recent placements, one would have to think that Vanguard is the weak link in that scenario, having been absent from the medals podium since 2004.  Then again, Vanguard has been in that 4-5 slot for five years now, and with their staff and organization its not totally inconceivable that they could break out and jump up to a top 2 finish.  Until I see their show at Stanford I wouldn't lay any odds, but as you say, it could happen. 

13 hours ago, Tim K said:

Blue Devils winning is never a bold prediction. What would shock people is BD falling below 2nd. SCV does seem to have preseason momentum, and quite a few believe that since both are celebrating anniversaries, we could see great things. However, for SCV to place in the top three, let alone win, one corps has to fall. Just as Crown had a huge act to follow in 2014, Bloo has that same challenge this year. It could be more difficult for Bluecoats since their all about being innovative, but if I had to predict whether Crown or Bluecoats falls from the top three, I would have to say Crown. Crown will have amazing brass, maybe things will improve a bit as far as percussion is concerned, but visually they will have challenges with key colorguard departures. The strength of Crown's brass and visual have often made up for lower placing percussion. If visual/guard is compromised, this could make things difficult.

Very true but Crown's viz replacements have been solid (Jeff and according to Corpsband, guard peeps from within) so my feeling is Bloo has same chance as Crown for dropping out of top 3). Agreed that SCV has the momentum to break the blue veil into top 3 especially with Micheal Gaines bringing his genius to an already hot SCV team. 

However, seasons have a mind of their own and despite our intellectualizing things, what will be will be.