2017 Uniform Database

It's the equivalent of saying "Back in my day, football players didn't even wear helmets, they just gave each other brain damage like REAL men" 

I used to try to understand where the Dinos were coming from but after reading the absolutely disgusting comments on the "I don't support DCI" page on Facebook, I think it's best for them to just leave the activity if they have nothing more to contribute than constant negativity and whining about how things change.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, DCIphotographer said:

It's the equivalent of saying "Back in my day, football players didn't even wear helmets, they just gave each other brain damage like REAL men" 

I used to try to understand where the Dinos were coming from but after reading the absolutely disgusting comments on the "I don't support DCI" page on Facebook, I think it's best for them to just leave the activity if they have nothing more to contribute than constant negativity and whining about how things change.

I probably classify as a dinosaur...or at least getting close to one anyway...marched 26 years ago DCI....

I absolutely LOVE this activity today and where it has gone...some things at times more than others...I wouldn't change a thing though...well perhaps sans singing...but I'll get over that...if I tried living in the past and saying "my day"...that was when real drum corps existed...then I'd probably end up being just a bunch of sour grapes...and those grumpy old men need to seriously grow the heck up...or perhaps even STFU and move on...

I can't wait to see where this activity will take us in the future...these are exciting times to be following drum corps...so much change this year...I LOVE it :)

Edited by Liahona
  • Like 5

Newbie here chiming in. I will start by saying I appreciate so much of what is being said about the changing face of Corps. I absolutely love seeing a sharp uniform and a high shako. Nothing beats a Corps and a guard in the field playing their hearts out for 11 minutes no props just the drill and the music. I get it. It is why I marched in HS and why I stayed a fan after those days were over.

But I think some of it has become very harsh and maybe if you feel that strongly you shouldn't comment. The kids in the activity can see it and honestly they just want to participate. It's beyond them,out of their control.

I admire what they do spandex or not. The books they are given are complex and challenging. They are performing drill,with choreo and props and plates spinning on their heads without missing a beat. The excecution of the music so technically sound while conveying emotion and range is more than commendable it is downright astonishing. 

So let me get this straight you want me to wear spandex,play this killer book,learn choreo,sing,march,keep phasing in tact with synth while facing the backfield while playing on my head ? These young people say yes and do it with grace and it is amazing to watch. 

The one thing that holds the activity together is the sense of family. Give your opinions discuss them,I think it's a good thing.I am not saying not to. But as far as the young people in the activity not feeling supported or that some are walking away because they aren't proud of them that may be a bit much. 

Just my opinion. I will continue to be a fan. I think it will "level out". Short of plate spinning,underwater features and flaming daggers there isn't a whole lot more to do on the field. I applaud these Corps for doing what they do.

Edited by higher faster stronger
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, higher faster stronger said:

Newbie here chiming in. I will start by saying I appreciate so much of what is being said about the changing face of Corps. I absolutely love seeing a sharp uniform and a high shako. Nothing beats a Corps and a guard in the field playing there hearts out for 11 minutes no props just the drill and the music. I get it. It is why I marched in HS and why I stayed a fan after those days were over.

But I think some of it has become very harsh and maybe if you feel that strongly you shouldn't comment. The kids in the activity can see it and honestly they just want to participate. It's beyond them,out of their control.

I admire what they do spandex or not. The books they are given are complex and challenging. They are performing drill,with choreo and props and plates spinning on their heads without missing a beat. The excecution of the music so technically sound while conveying emotion and range is more than commendable it is downright astonishing. 

So let me get this straight you want me to wear spandex,play this killer book,learn choreo,sing,march,keep phasing in tact with synth while facing the backfield while playing on my head ? These young people say yes and do it with grace and it is amazing to watch. 

The one thing that holds the activity together is the sense of family. Give your opinions discuss them,I think it's a good thing.I am not saying not to. But as far as the young people in the activity not feeling supported or that some are walking away because they aren't proud of them that may be a bit much. 

Just my opinion. I will continue to be a fan. I think it will "level out". Short of plate spinning,underwater features and flaming daggers there isn't a whole lot more to do on the field. I applaud these Corps for doing what they do.

Very well said! And for what it's worth, of the 18 World Class corps that have taken the field so far this summer, I'd say 12.5 of them have something akin to a modern version of a classic uniform (The 0.5 being the first part of the Blue Devils show this year). The only headgearless, costumey corps out on the field this year are the Bluecoats, Vanguard, Blue Knights, Madison, the 2nd half of the Blue Devils' show, and the Cadets (though just imagine a shako on the midpoint outfit with the maroon top and cream pants!). Of the four left to perform, Genesis seems to have a more traditional uniform, Surf is almost guaranteed to have a more "out there" costume, Spirit is lost somewhere in between the two, and the Cascades are a complete unknown.

EDIT: I have appeared to have completely erased the existence of the Oregon Crusaders from my mind. Last year their uniforms put them in the same category as Spirit is in this year. We'll see it they stay in that area, or if they tip more conservatively or radical.

Edited by MotoSurfBass
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

Very well said! And for what it's worth, of the 18 World Class corps that have taken the field so far this summer, I'd say 12.5 of them have something akin to a modern version of a classic uniform (The 0.5 being the first part of the Blue Devils show this year). The only headgearless, costumey corps out on the field this year are the Bluecoats, Vanguard, Blue Knights, Madison, the 2nd half of the Blue Devils' show, and the Cadets (though just imagine a shako on the midpoint outfit with the maroon top and cream pants!). Of the four left to perform, Genesis seems to have a more traditional uniform, Surf is almost guaranteed to have a more "out there" costume, Spirit is lost somewhere in between the two, and the Cascades are a complete unknown.

Hey Moto thanks ! It would have been sweet if at the midpoint of the Cadets show they took off that layer and added a shako. They would have fit under tables c'mon man...

Since when is a bowler hat not head gear ;) Costumey Corps™ :laughing: no shade just made me laugh. 

• Like 1

Just now, higher faster stronger said:

Hey Moto thanks ! It would have been sweet if at the midpoint of the Cadets show they took off that layer and added a shako. They would have fit under tables c'mon man...

Since when is a bowler hat not head gear ;) Costumey Corps™ :laughing: no shade just made me laugh. 

A bowler is certainly headgear, my bad. I guess the non-traditional flavor of the bowler in corps, plus their headgearless look last year threw me off. 

As for the Cadets, the shako would unfortunately make no sense in the context of their show. I do hope, however, that they bring back that middle section uniform with a shako as their regular look in 2018. It's distinctively Cadets, yet much more modern at the same time.

• Like 1

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

A bowler is certainly headgear, my bad. I guess the non-traditional flavor of the bowler in corps, plus their headgearless look last year threw me off. 

As for the Cadets, the shako would unfortunately make no sense in the context of their show. I do hope, however, that they bring back that middle section uniform with a shako as their regular look in 2018. It's distinctively Cadets, yet much more modern at the same time.

All in jest non traditional for sure. The headgearlessness (two new words in one day) threw me off at first but slides,shakos and horns spell disaster.

In all seriousness the shako would not work but I agree I would love to see that type of modern take on the Cadets style next season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DCIphotographer said:

Can not say that I'm not a Dino. But I'm not on Facebook either and that is a good thing. Maybe you should delete your facebook account and just come to the DCP for your DCI fix?

Facebook or as I like to say BookFace is a waste of human time and energy. 

To take crap on FB seriously is like saying you believe the ERF is flat. 

16 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

What's so crazy about not liking a costume that belongs on an off-Broadway stage instead of a drum corps show?  It's hideous.  Tell me one thing about that getup that says "Madison Scouts."  I also hate SCV's new WGI outfit.

If DCI is simply going to become a bigger version of WGI, then I'm done.

I liked your post. But I think maybe you should stick around and see where this all goes. I have said before that DCI is becoming WGI outdoor but things work in cycles. 

For example I think (now might not be the right time) that eventually there will be saturation or exhaustion over the change. Then the first corps to go retro and do it right will knock the socks off of people. It will be hard to judge otherwise. Opinion yes but I think I'm onto something. 

I can't stand the audio manipulation which I call audio doping. But from what I can tell everyone is on that wagon and it is here for now. Just imagine the sound and aplause you would get from a all non adulterated / mixed horn line. Done in the soundings of BD from the 80's or Suncoast sound from the Florida suite. With a traditional uni. People would come unglued. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, higher faster stronger said:

Just because Diana Rigg was the very first female I went ga-ga over on TV...  :inlove:

79ad1a80a2dbbc51d18d0b2663a49a6a.jpg

• Like 4