2017 Uniform Database

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

What's so crazy about not liking a costume that belongs on an off-Broadway stage instead of a drum corps show?  It's hideous.  Tell me one thing about that getup that says "Madison Scouts."  I also hate SCV's new WGI outfit.

If DCI is simply going to become a bigger version of WGI, then I'm done.

goodbye!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

Tell me one thing about that getup that says "Madison Scouts."

The Eisenhower jacket? The neckerchief? The spats? The cross sash? They're all there, if you look closer.

Mike

• Like 7

8 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Many many fans have said see ya. Fans have been bailing out on this activity for many years due to the unpopular direction of the costumes, electronics, trombones, & the musical selections. Most organizations who are losing customers & in a downward spiral try to adjust to right the ship. Not this activity though...nope. They are going to just keep trying to be progressive, which actually ends up being regressive for the popularity of the activity. My company does an annual detailed customer survey to insure that we are on the right track & listening to our customers. Has DCI ever done this? Have they surveyed both existing ticket buyers & the former ticket buyers who no longer attend events?

Attendance numbers say otherwise...

• Like 3

14 hours ago, JAZZER said:

Ya mean something newer than what's on page 16?

The OP started out posting updates to page 1 then stopped. I thought that was the whole purpose of this thread. I don't care enough to go through every page.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tenoris4Jazz said:

What's so crazy about not liking a costume that belongs on an off-Broadway stage instead of a drum corps show?  It's hideous.  Tell me one thing about that getup that says "Madison Scouts."  I also hate SCV's new WGI outfit.

If DCI is simply going to become a bigger version of WGI, then I'm done.

I completely agree with you! I despise the WGI influence on DCI and stopped going to live shows 2 years ago. I may buy the flow marching thing for the last month just to confirm what I suspect and that's going to be my not liking it at all. At that point I will be truly done. DCI has become an artsy fartsy shadow of it's former greatness and If you don't like something you stop watching it. Will I stop donating? Probably not but we'll see. Madison caving in to the "WGI-ing" of DCI was the final straw for me. 

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Many many fans have said see ya. Fans have been bailing out on this activity for many years due to the unpopular direction of the costumes, electronics, trombones, & the musical selections. Most organizations who are losing customers & in a downward spiral try to adjust to right the ship. Not this activity though...nope. They are going to just keep trying to be progressive, which actually ends up being regressive for the popularity of the activity. My company does an annual detailed customer survey to insure that we are on the right track & listening to our customers. Has DCI ever done this? Have they surveyed both existing ticket buyers & the former ticket buyers who no longer attend events?

Some fans have 'bailed' forever as drum corps has changed beyond what they can accept,in every era.  New ones take their place, and some old timers adapt to the changes and remain fans. The average paid attendance at finals the past 11 years is just over 20,300; the 11 before that was about 17,800. None of that includes the rest of champs week, regionals and other local shows around the country. Costumes, electronics and trombones have hardly driven attendance down as you state above.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

I guarantee that when marketed correctly, this "unpopular" direction will bring in more fans to replace the cranky old dinosaurs and then some. Stop acting like kowtowing to the old guard is crucial to the activity's survival.

1 minute ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I guarantee that when marketed correctly, this "unpopular" direction will bring in more fans to replace the cranky old dinosaurs and then some. Stop acting like kowtowing to the old guard is crucial to the activity's survival.

You need to understand that the bastardization of an activity us old farts that have followed for 30 years or more doesn't go down easily. I'll get over it but I miss how ###### and powerful DCI drum corps used to be. It's just modern interpretive dance on a football field for the most part now. If you like that crap good for you. Evidently lots of people like the current crap and that's good for the kids that march because the activity looks like it will survive. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SFZFAN said:

I completely agree with you! I despise the WGI influence on DCI and stopped going to live shows 2 years ago. I may buy the flow marching thing for the last month just to confirm what I suspect and that's going to be my not liking it at all. At that point I will be truly done. DCI has become an artsy fartsy shadow of it's former greatness and If you don't like something you stop watching it. Will I stop donating? Probably not but we'll see. Madison caving in to the "WGI-ing" of DCI was the final straw for me. 

20 minutes ago, SFZFAN said:

You need to understand that the bastardization of an activity us old farts that have followed for 30 years or more doesn't go down easily. I'll get over it but I miss how ###### and powerful DCI drum corps used to be. It's just modern interpretive dance on a football field for the most part now. If you like that crap good for you. Evidently lots of people like the current crap and that's good for the kids that march because the activity looks like it will survive. 

I totally understand where you are coming from, though I would certainly object to the term "bastardization" being used to describe the evolution of the activity. (Also, really? A## gets censored but not "########" here? EDIT: Apparently it does! But not "bastardization." Go figure!) The generation prior to yours probably considered grounded guard equipment and the front ensemble an affront to the activity. I'm certain that I'll be up in arms when the inevitable woodwinds come into play down the line. But it's simply an evolution, and from an artistic standpoint it almost always improves the activity.

I know a lot of these corps, whatever changes they may go through, still hold on to a piece of their past and try their best not to alienate the older generations despite their evolution. There are hints in the Madison and SCV uniforms, and corps LOVE to write callbacks into their musical programs all the time. They don't want to lose the audience that is loyal to them, but the times they are a-changing and all that jazz. There is a razor-thin line separating alienating the older generation and finding themselves helplessly stuck in the past, and to stay alive in this activity most corps will choose to settle for the latter. 

I don't like arguing with dinosaurs on DCP, as much as my posting seems to show the contrary. I simply want to see them make an attempt to judge the modern activity on its own merits, rather than futilely judging them on a past that doesn't resemble where things are today. 

Edited by MotoSurfBass
  • Like 1