Judging/Scoring Tutorial?

Three weeks from today, DCP will have its first postings after we have seen actual performances. In prep for that, anyone interested in offering up a brief - brief - tutorial on how judging works?

I’m not a doofus, but also not qualified (nor even interested) in the details necessary at the judge level. Rather, I’d like to be a little more intelligent about what I am seeing and hearing with respect to how scores are determined.

Primarily, I want to enjoy the shows. So “be a little more intelligent” is an important qualifier. 

To put this in context, here is this: I’m a long-time university professor. I know the difference between student work that is (say, for example) 87/100 vs. student work that is 93/100. But the difference between 87 and 86 or 88? I’ve no clue. Or a student scoring an 89 gets a B+ and one scoring a 91 gets an A-. That’s how it works. But honestly, in so many cases, the quality of what either of those students can accomplish is essentially indistinguishable.

In 2016 Coats were 97.650 and BD 97.250. Crown 97.088. Is that just the way the numbers shake out and everyone knows that? Or is there some sense that qualified people really can determined the Coats were 0.41131% - yes, that’s less than 1/2 a percent - better than the Blue Devils? (BD was 0.16685% better than Crown.)

• Like 1

It's the old "objective" vs "subjective"...and in judging/scoring art you cannot eliminate subjective from the equation.

edited to add...I don't care what Rolling Stone says...Sgt Peppers is NOT the greatest album of all time.  It's not even the Beatles greatest!

Edited by oldbandguy

I'll leave it to someone else to get really detailed, but, to start, the score is a sum of caption scores by several judges.  There can be anywhere from five to eleven judges in a competition.  You can find scoring recaps here at DCP.  The difference between an 87 and an 88 can be spread out over all the captions or can be due to a strength or weakness in one caption.  It depends.

For instance, in last year's Finals, Bluecoats strength was General Effect.  Blue Devils had the best Color Guard.  Crown excelled in Brass and Music Analysis, but was weaker in percussion.  It all adds up.

Edited by barigirl78

3 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

For instance, in last year's Finals, Bluecoats strength was General Effect.  Blue Devils had the best Color Guard.  Crown excelled in Brass and Music Analysis, but was weaker in percussion.  It all adds up.

Would also mention that Bluecoats strength was Music...they also won that caption.

7 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I'll leave it to someone else to get really detailed, but, to start, the score is a sum of caption scores by several judges.  There can be anywhere from five to eleven judges in a competition.  You can find scoring recaps here at DCP.  The difference between an 87 and an 88 can be spread out over all the captions or can be due to a strength or weakness in one caption.  It depends.

You are right except Crown won guard and visual last year.

2 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

Would also mention that Bluecoats strength was Music...they also won that caption.

As a whole, yes.  But, in subcaptions, they were 2nd in Brass, 3rd in Music Analysis, 1st in Percussion by Howarth, 2nd in Percussion by Leitzke (Overall percussion 2nd).  It just proves my point that score is a sum of disparate scores.  Somehow that added up to 1st in Music Overall.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

You are right except Crown won guard and visual last year.

Are you looking at the same recap I am?  Judge Chumley had Crown 2nd in Finals.  They were 2nd in Total Visual.

7 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Are you looking at the same recap I am?  Judge Chumley had Crown 2nd in Finals.  They were 2nd in Total Visual.

You're looking at recaps from that night, and he's referencing the caption award (averaged from scores from all three nights)

It helps that there are multiple judges for those numbers to shake out.

Each judge puts two different things on a scale of 1-100, where they can only use integers and half integers. Then *those* numbers are added together and divided by 10 to produce each judge's max of 20 points.

So (taking last year's Finals as an example): it's not that this group of 11 judges decided that Bloo was 0.41131% better; it's that Glenn Howarth thought that Bloo's percussion (from field or stands; I don't remember which he had that night) was 3.5 points better than BD out of 200 (which then got divided by 10 to produce the 0.35 point gap in his results). So, it's the difference between 190/200 and 193.5/200...or 95/100 and 96.5/100 in your schoolwork analogy.

Then it gets chopped up by the math. Percussion gets averaged together to produce 1 number on a 0-20 scale. Then percussion, music analysis, and brass get added together and divided by 2 to produce 1 number on a 0-30 scale. The same 0-30 happens with Visual. GE gets added together and divided to be out of 40. Then all of those get added together.

But the actual judging is 2 numbers from each judge that are out of 100 each. It gets awfully tight, but the math makes it look even tighter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

You're looking at recaps from that night, and he's referencing the caption award (averaged from scores from all three nights)

Ahhhhh.  Something tells me this isn't helping to answer the OP's question. :-)

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 1