Do drum corps have a legal right to restrict access to rehearsals held in publicly accessible venues?

Agree, there are some restrictions on drones, but none that are privacy-related.  A situation where technology advances far quicker than laws can get through Congress.

NOTE:  A quick google search shows that FAA safety restrictions on drones is that they cannot be flown below 400ft, over groups of people, or over stadiums. 

I've enjoyed the legal discussion on this thread, especially @garfield's cherry-picker difficulties. But perhaps the better question the OP and others should be asking is why, if a corps asks you not to attend or record their rehearsal, you'd ignore their request?

I love to attend rehearsals, and I find the secrecy in modern DCI to be beyond ridiculous (seriously, Crown dragging out their show announcement over 4 weeks, they should title it "constantly achieving absurdity"). But it's a tiny activity, why try to go around whatever the corps want?

• Like 1

If I were running a corps, and using music I hadn't secured rights to, I'd be worried about publishing houses finding out about it, too. 

Not sure that threatening fans is the best way to make sure you don't get caught breaking the law, though. 

1 hour ago, mrjaydub said:

Agree, there are some restrictions on drones, but none that are privacy-related.  A situation where technology advances far quicker than laws can get through Congress.

NOTE:  A quick google search shows that FAA safety restrictions on drones is that they cannot be flown below 400ft, over groups of people, or over stadiums. 

Actually many states have privacy restrictions on drones. 

What about corps members that attach go pro cameras to their heads and record the entire show from the field and then post it to youtube...or Hopkins live streamingentire chunks of music during spring training practice. do the corps police themselves or  are they just worried about the fan base leaking the shows before they are widely seen. 

1 hour ago, mrjaydub said:

Quick correction.  Drones cannot be flown above 400 feet.  If they could fly above 400 feet, they would be in airspace potentially occupied by airplanes and there would be a risk of collision. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KCWolfPck said:

Quick correction.  Drones cannot be flown above 400 feet.  If they could fly above 400 feet, they would be in airspace potentially occupied by airplanes and there would be a risk of collision. 

Yes - thank you for catching!  

Watching this thread slowly go off the rails one or two posts at a time is entertaining.

1 hour ago, ShortAndFast said:

I've enjoyed the legal discussion on this thread, especially @garfield's cherry-picker difficulties. But perhaps the better question the OP and others should be asking is why, if a corps asks you not to attend or record their rehearsal, you'd ignore their request?

I love to attend rehearsals, and I find the secrecy in modern DCI to be beyond ridiculous (seriously, Crown dragging out their show announcement over 4 weeks, they should title it "constantly achieving absurdity"). But it's a tiny activity, why try to go around whatever the corps want?

Agreed. While I do appreciate the legal professionals providing a little input for once, (even though they will always get grief for doing so. This is the internet after all.) the theoretical legal parsing of the  OP suggests an attitude that seems almost entirely self-serving.