Oil Can Security

1 minute ago, Cappybara said:

Personally, I prefer not living to be scared of everything. 

Life's too short for that as it is. Don't need to shorten it even more by stressing about things out of my control

I'm not stressing about anything.  I use common sense skills when in a large venue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexL said:

And 99.9999% of them are correct.

You're more likely to die of a million other things on any given day than a terrorist attack. 

More people die from, say, lightning strikes each year than from gun-related muggings as well as terrorist attacks; so does that mean I should just ignore the prudent measures of attempting to keep myself safe from muggings?

• Like 2

Just now, Stu said:

More people die from, say, lightning strikes each year than from gun-related muggings as well as terrorist attacks; so does that mean I should just ignore the prudent measures of attempting to keep myself safe from muggings?

Define prudent measures. I surely wouldnt go out of my way to prevent something statistically nonexistent, no. 

Living in fear is a terrible way to live. And even moreso when other people start intruding on other people's lives because of their own fear.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Exactly.  I would probably survive a ride on the green line at midnight but why would I do that? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Define prudent measures. I surely wouldnt go out of my way to prevent something statistically nonexistent, no. 

Living in fear is a terrible way to live. And even moreso when other people start intruding on other people's lives because of their own fear.

I'm not living in fear.  I live in the Chicago area.  I go into the city.  I'm just cautious. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Personally, I prefer not living to be scared of everything. 

Life's too short for that as it is. Don't need to shorten it even more by stressing about things out of my control

I have walked into the new World Trade Center, various Nightclubs, Arenas, Sporting Events, etc... without fear or being scared.  That is not the point. But if I were to walk into any event, or even down the street, without a keen awareness of what harm could come to me and my family I would also be beyond foolish.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Prudent Measures is not living in Fear, it is just using observational awareness of potential harm (as in being aware of someone that has their hands hidden from you just started walking toward you, observing another that has his face covered while appearing to be interested in the security camera locations, seeing someone wearing a rather heavy coat outside on the sidewalk when it is 85*, et. al).  That is not Fear but Smart Observational (Prudent) Awareness.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It sucks 100% when it's you. 

I agree with this, BUT I refuse to live my life in fear and accept the idea of "more government "protection" is better"; the ever increasing likelihood that deceptive and manipulative use of language being used to govern us could easily happen with that.  

This is our country; be cautious but try not to live in fear. Life is too short, and looking behind one's back all the time is already stressful enough.

I know, it is a hard sell for our cousins in the U.K who have had high profile attacks, but the alternative is an Orwellian society, which I don't think any of us want.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

I agree with this, BUT I refuse to live my life in fear and accept the idea of "more government "protection" is better"; the ever increasing likelihood that deceptive and manipulative use of language being used to govern us could easily happen with that.  

This is our country; be cautious but try not to live in fear. Life is too short, and looking behind one's back all the time is already stressful enough.

I know, it is a hard sell for our cousins in the U.K who have had high profile attacks, but the alternative is an Orwellian society, which I don't think any of us want.

I do not want to speak for Terri, but where is it that either one of us posted anything close to we are 'Living in Fear' and want 'The Government' to intrude into our lives?  All I have posted, and all I have read from the postings of Terri, is just that all of us need to be smart and keep an eye out for potential people and situations that could possibly harm us; whether that is walking on the sidewalk or sitting in a stadium.  You and Cappybarra seem to be extrapolating, and wrongly inferring, that while you both choose not to Live in Fear somehow Terri and I 'are'.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

I do not want to speak for Terri, but where is it that either one of us posted anything close to we are 'Living in Fear' and want 'The Government' to intrude into our lives?  All I have posted, and all I have read from the postings of Terri, is just that all of us need to be smart and keep an eye out for potential people and situations that could possibly harm us; whether that is walking on the sidewalk or sitting in a stadium.  You seem to be extrapolating, and wrongly inferring, that while you and Cappybarra both choose not to Live in Fear somehow Terri and I 'are'.

LOL.

Stu, I was just adding to the conversation.  No accusations, bud.  Nothing to see here.

Terri, sorry if what I wrote was taken that way.  I was agreeing with you, and then just used the space to try and add to the conversation.

• Like 2