Opening Night!

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

Yah.  I'm a religious studies scholar and when Cadets confirmed Mass for their show, my first thought was "They're gonna get it from both sides in the current cultural climate.  The new-Atheist influenced secular crowd won't get that it's an anti-dogmatic statement and simply react to the overt religious references in negative ways.  The 'let's go back to Tridentine Mass' crowd (if any exist among the Cadets/Holy Name funders anymore) would gasp that they're even touching this piece.  The only ones who are going to get this show are musical theater people familiar with the source."

I bet it goes on all season. 

It will have a slightly more contentious feeling than that Blue Devils Re:Rite of Spring...

To appreciate it required some advance knowledge on the source and its history.

• Like 1

CROWN! That brass is to die for, WOW!! Worth the price of admission!

To all the singing naysayers, the balance live was spot on imo. I think it's pretty obvious that there is definitely more to come in the closer.

I LOVE it!

• Like 1

That brass is ####### amazing and the first half of the show is actually wonderful.

The second half... I'm just gonna not say anything. 

• Like 7

I read in a different thread that this show is about how Crown has changed for the better. They start with classic Crown, and then in the ballad, the lyrics state "Have I changed for the better?" And the brass answers with the lyrics "I have changed for the better." My question is it the changing of Crown or they way DCI as a whole has changed and how it's for the better. 

Thoughts?

The Cavaliers show will be my favorite to watch all season. 

The Crown show is two different shows. They had me until they started leaning on the vocals. 

Man amazing brass line like that should play background to a mediocre singer. 

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 4

Just now, Forevergreen said:

I say cut the soloist.  She adds nothing to the overall effect of the show.

That ballad is the main point of the whole show. It's unfortunate because I'm not a fan but the singer is essential to the show making sense 

Crown: the brass was really good. I don't get the show. It's just usual Crown at the beginning and then funky crown at the end. Drop the singer, it detracts a lot from what's going on. Drill is subpar for them, sorry sacktig lovers the last guy was better.

(don't explain the show to me, I know what they've said it's about)

• Like 4

it seems like the "Take away" from night 1 of DCI 2017 will be that this season will be AMAZING with strong corps and a terrific variety of shows