Opening Night!

1 minute ago, mfrontz said:

Can't remember... are we still not getting full recaps this year?

9 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Great score for Bluecoats! WOW. Wasn't sure they would hit a 72 out of the gate.  Thought Crown might be closer. Great score for Cavaliers. Did not see them that high. Good for them though.  Hoping their show develops more of a flow -- at least from my perspective.  Cadets did quite alright tonight.  So much room to grow and I really like their show. Love the new look and that they are trying some new things. This was a needed step.  Kind of thought Blue Stars were further ahead of Crossmen, but I love both shows.

How are you my friend?  I haven't spent much time on the forums this year so I hope to catch up a bit but it's good to see your posts.  -Dave

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Wow. Half the field cracking 70 out of the gate without BD in the mix. Either a major correction later on or 99.65 is in reach. 

Like I said earlier, contenders are coming out of the gate with more complete and polished products these days.  But that doesn't equate to a 'correction' or enormously high scores in the end.  It just means that they are getting in longer and harder spring training than they did just a decade ago.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cfirwin3 said:

Like I said earlier, contenders are coming out of the gate with more complete and polished products these days.  But that doesn't equate to a 'correction' or enormously high scores in the end.  It just means that they are getting in longer and harder spring training than they did just a decade ago.

Well, a higher score doesn't mean that they are outperforming where they were last year. It's just a number. A judge scores the first corps with a number, and then has to base all remaining scores off that number. If he/she scores the first corps too high, everyone will be scored too high. It's spreads, not numbers. 

The Crossmen and Blue Stars were close in GE. The Crossmen were better visually, but Blue Stars took music.  That explains the closeness of the scores. 

27 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

You won't get over the complainers?

Or drum corps will never "move on" from vocals?

As regards the latter, if the rules don't change the possibility for vocals will always be there, but styles come and go, and someday you may look back at your opinions on the subject now and wonder, "What on earth was I thinking?"

Or maybe not.

On the contrary. I appreciate all of you who dislike vocals. I haven't always liked them either. Go read my old posts.  But when I hear them done well I will try to provide a counter-balance to the discussion.  I certainly don't mind people complaining about that which they hate or don't understand. I think that is what this forum is for.  When I say "move on" I'm probably just trying to stir things up a bit. It riles people up.  People don't like to be told what they should like or not like.  Just remember that there are lots of people on here telling us what to NOT LIKE. Maybe not directly, but they complain about it so obsessively that one feels they need to "shove" back a little.  

If I hear vocals that suck, I will say so.  I am really digging Crown and Cadets.  Oh, and I look back on all kinds of decisions and opinions and think "what the heck was I thinking."  I'm 52 now. That is par for the course. :)