Opening Night!

2 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

When you have the best brass line on Planet Earth, why would you ruin it by using it to back up a pitchy singer?!?!? 

I'm not one to be so blatantly critical about something so personally specific... but THIS is just spot on.

From the recordings that I had heard prior to tonight, I felt transported to a top level military band concert... where for one set, the 3rd trombone player takes the microphone and offers up a vocal medley rendition of classic 1940's dance band ballads.

It's not BAD... but's it's not the kind of GREAT that it MUST be... it's also not idiomatic (and probably can't be).  The Cadets played around with this kind of thing years ago, and it didn't work then either.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The Cadets have a show that could be special, but likely not top 3.  I think their show has better flow than some of the others.  But it also needs less clutter in visual and more coordination, which I think is coming. I love the risks they are taking.  I really believe they needed to move this direction.  Regardless of placement this was needed. Enjoyed them. 

Carolina Crown essentially has what looks like two shows, so I understand the confusion and even dislike of their 2nd act. But I really like it and it has grown on me. If they can smooth out the transitions I think they are top 3 material -- possibly.  

Lol, I know Cadets aren't top 3, but top 6 ain't bad after last year...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

When you have the best brass line on Planet Earth, why would you ruin it by using it to back up a pitchy singer?!?!? 

Could not agree more!  PLEASE bring out a beautiful French Horn and cut the vocal!  It brought everything down a few notches.  I'm sure the singer was great in some college musical, but not on this stage (sorry to say).

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Newseditor44 said:

I don't think the Bluecoats have the GE they did last season (yet) but I do think the demand on this program is greater. I LOVED last years show, I RESPECT this seasons show and look forward to watching it grow. 

Thought the same thing. Don't feel this show has the GE of Downside Up or even TILT. Great performance though. Think the door is open though for...who we shall see?

stage through middle seemed a little limiting. Friend at theater turned to me and asked how many times they were going to do "squiggly line follow the leader under the stage" (likes drum corps but doesn't follow lol).

preferred last years music way more. 

Great job though

• Like 1

Just now, kinetic inferno11 said:

Lol, I know Cadets aren't top 3, but top 6 ain't bad after last year...

It's early. Personally think Crown and Cavies were a bit overscored especially Cavies.

• Like 1

Entertainment wise for me :

1 Cavaliers 

2 Cadets

3 Blue Stars 

4 Crossmen

5 Bluecoats

6 Crown

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kdaddy said:

- I thought the Bloo/Crown gap would be a little wider.

I think I can explain why you he gap wasn't wider. Bloo had a rough, rough almost Murphy's Law run. Huge mic issues created huge balance and loss of effect issues. And having a snare player wipe out off of the ramp couldn't help (btw, never happened before -- new marching shoes?) I think you can get a drift of the show from what you saw / heard tonight, but man, it was a rough night.

• Like 7

Blue Stars - Liked the first half. Lady Marmalade kinda lost me. The end has potential.

Cadets - Dig the gold shoes. Choir can be much sometimes. I like the skirts but can either help them or hurt them. I secretly like this show. 

Cavies - The Billy Joel show was manlier. Borderline too much on the field. Lots of bromance.

Crown - Cool first half but Judy Jetson kind of killed the second act after a while. 

BC - I thought they were going to tip that platform off with those hip isolations. I honestly don't remember any melodies from the show. Questionable guard unis. I was really waiting for someone to eat it down the ramp (potential DCI tragic collisions video)

• Like 4

Posted a couple of show thoughts earlier, but now for uniforms:

Bluecoats - Meh. Nothing crazy, nothing special. Kind of a take on last year's.

Crown - Easily the best uniforms this year, and one of my favorites across all corps in quite a few years.

Cavies - So let me get this straight... they remove their shells and become the Teenage Mutant Ninjaliers?

Cadets - Really liked them.  All 27 of them.  Even the ones that look like my nephew's pajama jumpers (and they fit just as poorly).

Blue Stars - Classy and modern.

Crossmen - OK.  Identity in tact, not overly flashy, but just odd enough.

• Like 3

Just now, Dmiggles said:

Crown - Cool first half but Judy Jetson kind of killed the second act after a while.

Lmao ... Judy Jetson!!!!!!

• Like 4