Opening Night!

22 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

I'm not worried. These kids can handle complex things. I'm sure they will be find, but, as you say, accidents do happen. Time will tell, I guess.

It happened last night when a snare drummer went down on his butt.

9 minutes ago, gak27 said:

If you're referring to the white down the middle, from my one watch of it, it looks like steps.  The black on either side is sloped.

6 minutes ago, BigBadMadMan said:

It happened last night when a snare drummer went down on his butt.

And recovered like a champ. He wasn't the only member from a corps to fall down last night. The demands of the activity are higher than ever. Doing ground work on some of these wretched practice fields is as treacherous as anything. 

For those of you who don't believe that Bloo had a rough run last night, here was their first run @ Denison University back on Tuesday:

Credit: Ben Gunnarson

• Like 6

man the show last night brought the crotchety old timers out full force on the DCp facebook page

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I can only imagine.  And that's all I'm going to do...imagine. 

One DCP is enough for me. 

• Like 1

Just some random thoughts.  Most of the show critiques have been covered in the thread:

I was in a theater just north of Atlanta (heart of Spirit country).  I estimate there were 400+ folks there -- small stadium seating, about 20 seats per row, probably 20+ rows in the stadium portion, plus seating on the floor in front of the raised seating.  I think I saw a T-shirt for each of the Corps competing, many of them 2017 Tour shirts.  I think the ages tended towards the younger folks.  Video and audio excellent.

The audience was very receptive.  They applauded after each performance (delayed somewhat if unsure the performance was over) and also cheered big brass hits, nice guard tosses, and well -- snare drummers being snare drummers.  (LOL)  Twirling Tenors got a big (positive) response.

While a Spirit stronghold (Freddy Martin attended a few years ago), over the years I've found the audience to also be Crown fans.  Crown got a good reception, but there was strong support for Cavies and Bluecoats.  Of course, there were cheers when the Powder Springs, GA show was announced.

I was impressed with Blue Stars in their Preview show with the Cavies.  I was still impressed after last night's performance.  I thought they should have scored/placed higher.

(As posted in the Atlanta stadium thread)  When they were interviewing Dan Acheson, folks were generally not paying too much attention and there was a lot of hub-bub going on.  When he was asked about the new Atlanta stadium, the theater suddenly got deathly quiet.  I almost laughed out loud.

At the end of Bloo's show, there are 2 trumpet (screamer) soloists.  The young man is someone I've known since he was a youngster.  He's a great guy as are his musical family.  This is his 3rd year with 'Coats and I think he is only a Freshman in college.  I really hope he sticks with Bloo until he ages out.  Sadly, the mic cut out during his solo, but there will be other opportunities to hear him play.

I got a running commentary from The Daughter about:  Oh, I marched with him or she goes to my school.  Small world is DCI.

Crown vocalist:  I didn't have any problems with her performance and enjoyed it a lot.  As she entered the field, a group behind me must have known her because they shouted her name and cheered.

$20 for 2 small bottled waters, small soft drink, and small bag of Skittles.  Ugh!

I know I'm forgetting something, but that's about all for now.

• Like 1