Thoughts for the new season

4 hours ago, Tim K said:

I'll have to say I've seen both good and not so good in Allentown. I witnessed the incident I mentioned and have seen difficult fans, but I've also see great things. A few years back I was in Yocco's and a group of kids who marched came in as well. A well known alum of a corps who will remain nameless noticed a kid open an empty wallet. He was going to leave when the alum said "Why don't we all throw in a few bucks and pick up the tab" so about twenty kids ate for free. I also find the Saturday crowd to be more friendly with a family atmosphere than Friday. 

I love that. :inlove::inlove:

I'll admit. As we get within days of the tour start, I'm jonsing pretty hard for some new drum corps shows....

• Like 1

The one thing I always tell current members of the corps as they launch into a new season is to just come out of that season feeling they did their best.  I don't talking about "winning" or "placement" or any of that stuff.  Most of that stuff is outside an individual member's control.

While it's natural and human nature to get wrapped up in scores and placements and we will all do that soon enough, at the core of the activity is a bunch of people on the field trying to be the best that they can be and working their ##### off.

I look forward to all the corps.  I remember being at a show with about six corps of various placement and the seats next to me were empty until the last two corps came on.  Then, suddenly, fans of one of those two corps showed up to fill their places. It wasn't that they were running late.  They just didn't care to see any corps but theirs and the other corps that was in close competition with it.  That's an attitude I just don't understand.

So, I can't wait to cheer everyone on the field this year and, even if a participant is in the lowest placing corps, I hope they have a season that they can treasure and be proud of.

Edited by barigirl78
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I remember being at a show with about six corps of various placement and the seats next to me were empty until the last two corps came on.  Then, suddenly, fans of one of those two corps showed up to fill their places. It wasn't that they were running late.  They just didn't care to see any corps but theirs and the other corps that was in close competition with it.  

I've been guilty of that years ago at either Manning Bowl or Boston College.  When it happens nowadays, there probably is still those who show up late or it might be volunteers/techs who get some time off to get into the show.

1 hour ago, barigirl78 said:

The one thing I always tell current members of the corps as they launch into a new season is to just come out of that season feeling they did their best.  I don't talking about "winning" or "placement" or any of that stuff.  Most of that stuff is outside an individual member's control.

While it's natural and human nature to get wrapped up in scores and placements and we will all do that soon enough, at the core of the activity is a bunch of people on the field trying to be the best that they can be and working their ##### off.

I look forward to all the corps.  I remember being at a show with about six corps of various placement and the seats next to me were empty until the last two corps came on.  Then, suddenly, fans of one of those two corps showed up to fill their places. It wasn't that they were running late.  They just didn't care to see any corps but theirs and the other corps that was in close competition with it.  That's an attitude I just don't understand.

So, I can't wait to cheer everyone on the field this year and, even if a participant is in the lowest placing corps, I hope they have a season that they can treasure and be proud of.

Just as bad are the people in the stands sitting on their hands.  Most of us have performance experience and know what it's like to hear applause and cheers. Please give some of that back to the performers. I may not stand and cheer myself hoarse for every corps, but every group, every soloist, every "big moment" gets applause.  Everyone needs a little encouragement.

Some of the lower placing Corps oftentimes have shows that are every bit, if not more, entertaining than some of the so called elites Corps do too. The fans that are only interested in the elites are entitled to that of course, but its a shame they have such limited reservoirs of things, with the patience required, to perhaps broaden their entertainment horizons a bit more.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 6

37 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

Some of the lower placing Corps oftentimes have shows that are every bit, if not more, entertaining than some of the so called elites Corps do too. The fans that are only interested in the elites are entitled to that of course, but its a shame they have such limited reservoirs of things, with the patience required, to perhaps broaden their entertainment horizons a bit more.

Great point. I saw everyone, start to finish, at San Antonio, Prelims, and Semis last year. Lots of fun. Placing 18th still means a lot of energy, talent, and hard work on the field.

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I've been guilty of that years ago at either Manning Bowl or Boston College.  When it happens nowadays, there probably is still those who show up late or it might be volunteers/techs who get some time off to get into the show.

Well, this was section with the higher-priced tickets.  The late arrivals did have tickets for the seats they occupied.  Sadly for them, one of the shows they skipped was the Boston Crusaders' Core of Temptation show, which, was one of my favorites of that year.

I didn't want to take this thread on a tangent, but express what my thoughts were as the season starts.  My thoughts are with all the corps and I look forward to seeing what they all want to perform for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

That's beautiful. "Now members, go out there and kick some a#%!!"

2 hours ago, BRASSO said:

That's why I go in on Thursday morning in Indy  and watch the open class block.   Me and 100 of my closest friends. 

• Like 2