41 minutes ago, BigW said:

Also doesn't hurt the adjudicators to be able to look, discuss in a more relaxed setting, and also look at the programs using DCA Metrics and Rubrics which are rather different in certain key areas than the Scholastic band ones.

I'll yank John's and Adam's chain later about something I think I already know the answer about- but I want to bring up. When the normals in the audience who like their golf clapping and sit on their hands except for the team their relative or kid is in give someone "The Look" when they, heaven forbid... get excited about a big moment that's well done.... :whistle:

I'm not sure I follow hahaha

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

there have been many seasons, and you can search the archives here on DCP, where the second a score in Wildwood went up the screams of slotting etc happened.

That's on here, it's not reality.  Screams of slotting suggest some sort of collusion, which there is none.  DCA is not in the business to favor one corps over an another.  

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Also doesn't hurt the adjudicators to be able to look, discuss in a more relaxed setting, and also look at the programs using DCA Metrics and Rubrics which are rather different in certain key areas than the Scholastic band ones.

I don't disagree BUT ...

The DCA season has only so many shows and so few opportunities to perform and receive a number. Have a rain out and a judging panel is down the drain and there is no feedback or metric/rubric comparison :blink:

Also, taking away the job of a judge assigning a number does not make the job easier, the dynamic only changes in the eye of staff.  Seems as the staffs fixate on the number more than the judge.  Staff's seem to forget that they are looking for the judges gut reaction. A number is a message and with so few shows the message needs to clear and given as soon as possible.   

AoE

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Big Adam said:

But sitting here speculating that there's some kind ploy or that everyone that was there is outraged or feeling devalued is insulting. 

My end game is not to insult.  It's just to bring up what many perceive as an awkward alternative.  You are clearly defending your corps position to run the show as a exhibition and you've done well, as you should, I also don't think your seeing the other side.  I think if you'd ask anyone involved their initial reaction to the show being an exhibition they probably thought it odd.  

17 hours ago, Big Adam said:

"We're probably not going to see eye to eye here but I'm not a keyboard fan."  "I'm not hiding my affiliation or behind any kind of screen name so hopefully we see each other at show sometime and can have a beer and smooth it over." 

Call me what you will, I've done my duty to the activity and certainly reserve the right to question and to have an opinion and if I choose to not use my name, I have the right.  I won't take your backhanded comment as an insult, but I would hope that you are open minded and see the discussion as warranted.  We only get better and stronger through open and honest communication.  

Edited by AoEnut
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, AoEnut said:

My end game is not to insult.  It's just to bring up what many perceive as an awkward alternative.  You are clearly defending your corps position to run the show as a exhibition and you've done well, as you should, I also don't think your seeing the other side.  I think if you'd ask anyone involved their initial reaction to the show being an exhibition they probably thought it odd.  

I think I've done my duty to the activity.  Call me what you will, but I certainly reserve the right to question and to have an opinion.  I won't take your backhanded comment as an insult, but I would hope that you are open minded and see the discussion as warranted.  We only get better and stronger through open and honest communication.  

That wasn't meant to be insulting. I'm sorry if it came off that way. It was more to say that I am who I am and that if my answer doesn't appease anyone than I don't know if you're going to get a better or more detailed answer from anyone else. That was what I was getting out. But I do stand by saying we should grab a beer sometime and talk about the future and health of the activity.

14 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

That wasn't meant to be insulting. I'm sorry if it came off that way. It was more to say that I am who I am and that if my answer doesn't appease anyone than I don't know if you're going to get a better or more detailed answer from anyone else. That was what I was getting out. But I do stand by saying we should grab a beer sometime and talk about the future and health of the activity.

Adam,

Numbers are a way to measure.  But for some reason, maybe it's the way the staffs act, maybe it the competitive beast, maybe the administrations actions, who knows. I do not see the numbers as the pariah as you do and I certainly don't see them as a reason to shorten an already short competitive season. 

Taking away that opportunity to be measured is not a good thing.  The competitive season is going to get shorter, the writing is on the wall.  It costs to much money to keep the season going and corps are having recruiting issues because of conflicts at the end of the year.  

You stress the issue about filling up the corps to begin the season and I see it differently. The end. The end of the season will be the thing that will bring DCA to it's knees.  Colleges are being more strict with their students and attendance when they move in for the semester then ever before - this is becoming a big issue.  Also, High schools are now starting earlier with Friday night attendance at football game being an issue for members of their respective bands.  

Why we are taking shows away is a mystery and my main reason for bringing this up.  

AoE

Edited by AoEnut

Here you go, John and Adam-

One thing we can agree on that I'm certain of--

It means a lot to us as performers when the crowd reacts/goes nuts. For the record, John's younger than me even though the era we performed in might overlap by a year or so. I don't want people to think he's old or something. I'm still young at heart, at least I'd like to think so. :biggrin:

As for the people on the field now- here's the hypothetical:

I'm sure Andy's set up a spot in the show similar to the massive hit at the end of the 2016 WCU show where they destroy whatever venue they're performing in. The Cabs live for the big strike/killshot. When and not if the corps nails it... if I pump my clenched fist and yell "YEAH!" in response... do the performers want that? I'm pretty sure they do. We did. I'm sure as a staff, you want it. Unless things have changed and you prefer the nice polite golf clap at the end for some reason I'm unaware of.

The problem is "THE LOOK" you get from some people in the stands.... especially Aunt Mabel whose kid marches with someone else. That look of "Are you nuckin' futs boy, what is WRONG wit joo!?"

The questions then start as the Cabs troop the stands...

"Do you teach the Cabs?"

"Umm, no."

"Did you March with the Cabs?"

"No, I competed against them for six seasons and they're good folks."

They then wonder what's up. I then keep getting "THE LOOK". They can't get their arms around someone liking a corps that's not theirs, that there's someone who likes several corps... or someone responding excitedly at a show for a corps that is not the host corps. Things seem to have changed somehow at the DCA contests. It was not that way at Chester at 2014 at the DCI/DCA show when everyone went potty for "Tilt". The Coats even put up a crowdcam post on FB after that show in appreciation. I'm in it, man, freaking out and yelling myself hoarse, even though I knew what was coming and was yelling "Come on, come on, make it happen!" as the blocks converged. No one was giving anyone any funny looks after that crowdgasm.

I first got "THE LOOK" around 1995ish at the DCA/DCI Hershey contest when I "Blooed" the Blue Coats after a nice, nice run. I'd been getting it from this bunch of folks and I finally asked the kid, "Is something wrong, sonny boy?" and his Dad told me I was the problem, and things nearly came to blows. (Blooing the Blue Coats is a problem!?!?!? This tells you what level of cretins I was dealing with...) I was higher up in the stands and was ready to take 2 guys on full tilt, not a good moment. I didn't want my Mom caught in the scuffle, walked out, and gave them the ol' Double Deuce. I left the stadium then swearing I'd never go to a corps show again. A couple of years later the band staff I was on as the Assistant to the Director and Show Coordinator took me back to Hershey with the promise they'd surround me and bodyguard me from those morons. They kept their promise and I had a good time, enjoyed Madison a lot, they were smokin' hawt...  but I felt I had to hold back. Part of me died.

It's one of the reasons I carry the notebook and write the reviews. If I'm writing away thoughtfully and in detail, I can't get too excited and get "THE LOOK" from some cluck.

If corps want the crowd to react when they make the hit or the big moment... maybe something needs to be done to make sure the crowd understands this from some direction. And that you can cheer and get crazy for ANY corps, NOT just the one your kid is in and that if other people dig a corps your kid is NOT in, don't give them that freakin' look and shut up. Just my tuppence. If corps want the crowd to get down and are wondering in part why they do not, they need to do something to stop "THE LOOK" in its tracks before everyone in the corps wonder why all they hear between numbers or musical pauses are the crickets chirping.

Edited by BigW

7 hours ago, AoEnut said:

That's on here, it's not reality.  Screams of slotting suggest some sort of collusion, which there is none.  DCA is not in the business to favor one corps over an another.  

so people who post on here on arent dealing with reality?

so let me ask you a question.....in the years since the Wildwood show started, which time did the winner of finals not win Wildwood?

(hint...twice, and neither of the finals winners attended Wildwood)

Edited by Jeff Ream
correction
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

so people who post on here on dealing with reality?

so let me ask you a question.....in the years since the Wildwood show started, which time did the winner of finals not win Wildwood?

(hint...twice, and neither of the finals winners attended Wildwood)

Seen the posts that also looked at the score gaps out of Wildwood and how those gaps pretty much stayed that way as the season progressed. Definitely unhappy and angry posts.

2 hours ago, BigW said:

Here you go, John and Adam-

One thing we can agree on that I'm certain of--

It means a lot to us as performers when the crowd reacts/goes nuts. For the record, John's younger than me even though the era we performed in might overlap by a year or so. I don't want people to think he's old or something. I'm still young at heart, at least I'd like to think so. :biggrin:

As for the people on the field now- here's the hypothetical:

I'm sure Andy's set up a spot in the show similar to the massive hit at the end of the 2016 WCU show where they destroy whatever venue they're performing in. The Cabs live for the big strike/killshot. When and not if the corps nails it... if I pump my clenched fist and yell "YEAH!" in response... do the performers want that? I'm pretty sure they do. We did. I'm sure as a staff, you want it. Unless things have changed and you prefer the nice polite golf clap at the end for some reason I'm unaware of.

The problem is "THE LOOK" you get from some people in the stands.... especially Aunt Mabel whose kid marches with someone else. That look of "Are you nuckin' futs boy, what is WRONG wit joo!?"

The questions then start as the Cabs troop the stands...

"Do you teach the Cabs?"

"Umm, no."

"Did you March with the Cabs?"

"No, I competed against them for six seasons and they're good folks."

They then wonder what's up. I then keep getting "THE LOOK". They can't get their arms around someone liking a corps that's not theirs, that there's someone who likes several corps... or someone responding excitedly at a show for a corps that is not the host corps. Things seem to have changed somehow at the DCA contests. It was not that way at Chester at 2014 at the DCI/DCA show when everyone went potty for "Tilt". The Coats even put up a crowdcam post on FB after that show in appreciation. I'm in it, man, freaking out and yelling myself hoarse, even though I knew what was coming and was yelling "Come on, come on, make it happen!" as the blocks converged. No one was giving anyone any funny looks after that crowdgasm.

I first got "THE LOOK" around 1995ish at the DCA/DCI Hershey contest when I "Blooed" the Blue Coats after a nice, nice run. I'd been getting it from this bunch of folks and I finally asked the kid, "Is something wrong, sonny boy?" and his Dad told me I was the problem, and things nearly came to blows. (Blooing the Blue Coats is a problem!?!?!? This tells you what level of cretins I was dealing with...) I was higher up in the stands and was ready to take 2 guys on full tilt, not a good moment. I didn't want my Mom caught in the scuffle, walked out, and gave them the ol' Double Deuce. I left the stadium then swearing I'd never go to a corps show again. A couple of years later the band staff I was on as the Assistant to the Director and Show Coordinator took me back to Hershey with the promise they'd surround me and bodyguard me from those morons. They kept their promise and I had a good time, enjoyed Madison a lot, they were smokin' hawt...  but I felt I had to hold back. Part of me died.

It's one of the reasons I carry the notebook and write the reviews. If I'm writing away thoughtfully and in detail, I can't get too excited and get "THE LOOK" from some cluck.

If corps want the crowd to react when they make the hit or the big moment... maybe something needs to be done to make sure the crowd understands this from some direction. And that you can cheer and get crazy for ANY corps, NOT just the one your kid is in and that if other people dig a corps your kid is NOT in, don't give them that freakin' look and shut up. Just my tuppence. If corps want the crowd to get down and are wondering in part why they do not, they need to do something to stop "THE LOOK" in its tracks before everyone in the corps wonder why all they hear between numbers or musical pauses are the crickets chirping.

it's people today. you're either with us or against us.

went to my nephews little league game. 7 year olds. people only clapped for their kid, not the team. This fall, i complimented a coworkers favorite team after an amazing comeback, even though it's known I dont like his team. Guy looked at me like i had 3 heads