DCI Spring Training Finale Thread!

4 minutes ago, goodmello said:

I'm not going crazy over this show so far.  So many pit balance issues, especially with the solos/combos.  

The guard was also dropping much more than expected.  A soprano also fell at one point.  Overall, a bit of a rough start I believe. 

That being said, I have no doubt the product will end up being as exciting and crisp as the Cavaliers have been these past years.

Also, it is extremely unfortunate about the weather.

Here's to 2017!

It's a very complicated product IMO in terms of balance and blending. They'll get it perfected

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I seem to remember Cavaliers indicating that they were going unplugged in 2004, the first year amps were allowed, but then they changed their minds, with their director explaining they didn't want to have their "hands tied behind their backs" or some such remark.

That said, I don't remember if Bluecoats used amplification that year.

Yea, we only mic'd the marimbas and rack that year.  That was when we had the mixer on my rack, it sucked pushing that thing around.

• Like 1

Wish we saw more. The brass was weaker than I expected, but had some nice moments. Otherwise the design was interesting and guard were great especially with the increasing wind. I'm not sure how much I enjoyed that electric tuba stuff but I'm keeping an open mind to see where that goes.

Can't say too much though without seeing the rest of show. 

• Like 2

It's hard to say if I like Cavies show after one incomplete read.  The balance between use of electronics and use of marching people playing instruments seems a bit too weighted towards electronics for my taste but I guess thats life these days. I didn't like Bluecoats after first read last year and ended up digging the show so I could see that happening here too.  I liked Blue Stars show MUCH better on second read than on first when I saw them in Onalaska Sunday. I do really hope they do more with that percussion feature, it just doesn't have the wow moments it needs right now.

• Like 2

Cavies look great visually, guard is off to a good start despite the wind. Honestly I was definitely more impressed with blue Stars brass then I was the Cavies, needs A LOT of work there imo.

Edit: I thought the electronic tuba was pretty awesome. Looking forward to hearing some more of that!

Edited by DasTuba

6 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

I also saw the Cadets run tonight - they are cleaning quickly and improved from the night prior but Cavaliers program is more complete and clean at this time. I'd put them a competitive level (ie: 3 points) ahead of Cadets right  now. Crown probably close to Cavaliers and we'll have to see where Coats fit in (#1?) on Thursday

Crossmen show is tough. Hope they can clean and execute it too in time for the 22nd. My feed tonight ended before I can see the Cavaliers. Only makes the 22nd more anticipating. Tomorrow is trash day, then thursday night is Indy in the theaters. That's my agenda (with work in between).

Edited by MWilliams
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gak27 said:

Cavies - so...much...running...and electronics...and running....and visual....could the horn line play a LITTLE more? Please?

I heard more electronics than horns.  Guess it wasn't just me?

• Like 5