DCI Spring Training Finale Thread!

BD's preshow to opening hit is perfection.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MikeN said:

Blue Stars had a ton of dead air in their show - little pauses and big pauses - but I'm assuming more runs will take care of that. 

Not sure what to think of Cavs yet. Then again, I did *not* like Propaganda at the start of the tour either.

Mike

I hate to go back into ancient history ( aka 2010), but I didn't like Mad World in the beginning of the season and it was a hot hot hot mess, but at finals it was my favorite show of the year.

My personal taste is for more brass; the closer has more brass (and other stuff) that wasn't seen tonight.

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

I hate to go back into ancient history ( aka 2010), but I didn't like Mad World in the beginning of the season and it was a hot hot hot mess, but at finals it was my favorite show of the year.

My personal taste is more brass, but there was a closer that had more brass ) and other stuff) that wasn't seen tonight.

We didn't even get to hear mars on the field tonight.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Sound wasn't bad live. Very messy otherwise. Liked actual corps uniforms.

wonder if all that guard stuff might get simplified by August. Complexity that doesn't add much.

Nope. As always. They'll clean it

• Like 1

Just now, DCI-86 said:

Nope. As always. They'll clean it

I'm kinda used to their process at this point.  So I'm pretty confident/feel like I have an idea of how it'll develop.  

I'm not a guard guy but the flag stuff in the ballad looked really cool to me.  

6 hours ago, BoaDci said:

Really?  This show should be easier to grasp.  If your problem is with them winning...I'm not sure I can take you seriously.

Not at all, I don't mind BD wins. It's hard to think of an organization in any area or industry that has maintained so much success and product quality over so long a time, and that is really impressive. I'm happy to celebrate that in BD.

I just don't get as moved by their shows as by others' shows. In 2016, I enjoyed Crown, SCV, Cavies, Bluecoats so much more, for example. It's a personal preference, and that's why I speak of it as my BD problem; it isn't the Blue Devils'.

Easier to grasp? That might work for me. I'll keep an open mind.

• Like 1

Some likely unhelpful notes:

• I arrived at 7:00, then learned from online stuff on my phone the first show wouldn't go until 8:15. How can that info not be communicated in advance?
  • The aluminum benches were top-grade hard benches.
  • I experimented with sitting closer than usual, about half-way up the small stadium. Didn't like that. Had to keep swiping my head, tennis match style, to get everything in. Glad to be in 241 for finals week.
  • Very frustrating someone in charge didn't cut short the BS encore and move on more quickly to the Cavies' show before the rain.
  • Great to see Blue Stars looking good. Liked those uniforms.
  • Blue Stars' guard has way to much to think of right now. I get that they'll modify and clean. I think they change costumes something like 27 times.:lle:
  • Nice, full sound from Blue Stars. The kind of sound we musical amateurs like to hear from corps.
  • I'm really tired of the boy-girl hookups on the field. The idea might be fine. I just don't think it is done effectively most of the time. Really nice from The Academy last year, so corps need to rise to or surpass that level.
  • Also tired of the solo dancer. You can't really see anything impressive. Seems like filler to me. Please stop this.
  • Blue Stars will clean and perfect, but the show is there. It's a typical drum corps show. Cavaliers have this really interesting, almost organic thing going on that is going to develop over the tour and turn into something by August it isn't right now.
  • Glad DCI moved some time ago to get finals week indoors. It's just silly to risk the messiness of shows cut-short due to weather. These are complex, expensive, fancy-equipment-laden products on the field.
  • Ready to see more on Thursday!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Not at all, I don't mind BD wins. It's hard to think of an organization in any area or industry that has maintained so much success and product quality over so long a time, and that is really impressive. I'm happy to celebrate that in BD.

I just don't get as moved by their shows as by others' shows. In 2016, I enjoyed Crown, SCV, Cavies, Bluecoats so much more, for example. It's a personal preference, and that's why I speak of it as my BD problem; it isn't the Blue Devils'.

Easier to grasp? That might work for me. I'll keep an open mind.

Way easier to grasp thank you for clarification:)