Clovis Cauldron

Amen DrumManTx- each person at the show said all the shows and corps were great but it's a 2 corps discussion. I'm super excited to see BD and SCV this year and their greatness is a great story but Academy 1 point behind Phantom and 2 1/2 behind BK is also a great story to elaborate on.... BK and Phantom seem to be coming out of the gate strong, would love to hear takes on them as well

• Like 6

Watched the BD video. (And so again, recording and posting these shows is now okay and doesn't violate permissions?)

There was something in those first few minutes... What was that?

Oh, right. Real, clever, un-prop-reliant, whole-corps drill. And a guard synchronize for more than 5 seconds. I'd forgotten you see those things in DCI. :whistle:

For once, I am really looking forward to seeing the Blue Devils. (Not 'till San Antonio, I'm afraid.) See, @BoaDci, I said I'd keep an open mind. RE: 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Watched the BD video. (And so again, recording and posting these shows is now okay and doesn't violate permissions?)

There was something in those first few minutes... What was that?

Oh, right. Real, clever, un-prop-reliant, whole-corps drill. And a guard synchronize for more than 5 seconds. I'd forgotten you see those things in DCI. :whistle:

For once, I am really looking forward to seeing the Blue Devils. (Not 'till San Antonio, I'm afraid.) See, @BoaDci, I said I'd keep an open mind. RE: 

324D202500000578-3498922-image-a-33_1458

38 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

Speaking of BK...

1.  Did they perform their closer?  If so, how was it?

2.  Thoughts on BK's opening guard/hornline/drumline dance?

3.  Thoughts on BK drumline performance...especially in the Concerto?

1. Yes. A whole show was performed. Very interesting interpretation of the closer piece. I enjoyed what they had. I'm sure the ending will be different by August but they end with some volume.

2. Opening is very atmospheric and builds slowly to a big push. Once the push happened it commanded the audience's attention. Very cool.

3. The drumlins was the stand out for me. Watch for the snare solo in the middle of the show. I don't know if he is mic'd but the pitch changes "electronically" as he marches around the field. It's very exposed and a very cool effect.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, BDguardsman said:

1. Yes. A whole show was performed. Very interesting interpretation of the closer piece. I enjoyed what they had. I'm sure the ending will be different by August but they end with some volume.

2. Opening is very atmospheric and builds slowly to a big push. Once the push happened it commanded the audience's attention. Very cool.

3. The drumlins was the stand out for me. Watch for the snare solo in the middle of the show. I don't know if he is mic'd but the pitch changes "electronically" as he marches around the field. It's very exposed and a very cool effect.

Good report. I'm excited to see them in Stanford tomorrow. I didn't like the uniforms when I saw the pictures, but then I saw pictures from up top and they looked nice on the field. Remember when they hand painted their flags? Wish they were go back to that. Loved that.

1 hour ago, wesleyrp said:

Amen DrumManTx- each person at the show said all the shows and corps were great but it's a 2 corps discussion. I'm super excited to see BD and SCV this year and their greatness is a great story but Academy 1 point behind Phantom and 2 1/2 behind BK is also a great story to elaborate on.... BK and Phantom seem to be coming out of the gate strong, would love to hear takes on them as well

If my memory serves those are fairly good scores for Mandarins an PC out of the gate too!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Cleveland1 said:

Comparing scores across different shows? That's a paddling 

Haha!  It's all just a loose estimate.

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

(And so again, recording and posting these shows is now okay and doesn't violate permissions?)

The actual recording is not permitted by corps or the shows.

But as for posting links to the recordings here, DCP recently issued this reminder of its policy.

In short, links to Youtube are fine. Corps who object to their shows being on Youtube can complain to that site and have the videos taken down.

1 hour ago, dsefton said:

If my memory serves those are fairly good scores for Mandarins an PC out of the gate too!

You have an excellent memory.  According to DCP's Scoring History page, on Jun 24, 2016 (first show of last season for both corps), PC scored 53.70 and Mandarins scored 54.50.  Last night, both scored 60.50.

Nice jump!

• Like 3