Massillon, Ohio 2017 version 1

For those that have yet to catch the Bluecoats, there is this wonderful "snaking" line (not quite jagged) that happens twice. Once somewhere in the middle of the program, and it hits at super high speed. When the line completes and draws into a box, there is a synced hit point in the rifles on the stage that just blows you away.  They bring the snaking line back at the end of the show just before they spread the field. And while doing that you see the tubas come flying down the ramp of the stage. Just incredible to watch live. The closer is just sheer madness and will have crowds eating out of their hands all summer. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, chaddyt said:

Great review, Mr. Willis.  Thank you.  Definitely not on the same page as you regarding Cadets, but my only viewings have been online and in the theater.  I'll catch them in Allentown, so hopefully they can make a believer out of me so to speak.  

Thank you.  I like to think I am being fair and objective. I know many will call my bias. Fair enough. Perhaps some of my love for the show comes from 1) my love of that type of music, 2) this notion that we all had (me included, they were 10th in my pre-season predictions) that somehow the Cadets were about to fall off the deep end, and 3) a number of folks trashing their design before they really had a chance to put all the elements together and perform. But I do stand by what I said. They are really good. Likely not top 3 good, but I believe they can get hot down the stretch.  

Just now, jwillis35 said:

Thank you.  I like to think I am being fair and objective. I know many will call my bias. Fair enough. Perhaps some of my love for the show comes from 1) my love of that type of music, 2) this notion that we all had (me included, they were 10th in my pre-season predictions) that somehow the Cadets were about to fall off the deep end, and 3) a number of folks trashing their design before they really had a chance to put all the elements together and perform. But I do stand by what I said. They are really good. Likely not top 3 good, but I believe they can get hot down the stretch.  

I'm still not sold on the design.  While I'll certainly allow that it's still just coming along, I could see them dropping a spot or two in Indy just as much as I could see them edge into 5th or maybe even 4th.  I'm curious to get a sense of the hornline live because in the theater, I felt they barely played (compared to the other corps).  I know that's not the case, but the choir just seemed to drown them out.

We shall see.

7 hours ago, chaddyt said:

I'm still not sold on the design.  While I'll certainly allow that it's still just coming along, I could see them dropping a spot or two in Indy just as much as I could see them edge into 5th or maybe even 4th.  I'm curious to get a sense of the hornline live because in the theater, I felt they barely played (compared to the other corps).  I know that's not the case, But the choir just seemed to drown them out.

I haven't seen any of the corps on a recording or feed of any sort.  I saw all the corps live for the first time with NO preconceived notions of what to expect.  I will also go on record, I am NOT a fan of singing in drum corps.

Cadet's use of singing in this show is the best I've ever heard. 

The choir never overpowers the corps and for the most part sing when the horns are NOT playing, the opposite of Crown whose show I dislike intensely because of the soloist being amped to the point she overpowers the horn line.  The choir sings with a professional sound and due to the religious type of theme, actually adds to the story telling of the corps.  Cadets need NO explanation to convey to the crowd what is going on.  FANTASTIC costuming and transitions due to the use of the uniform changes.

My concern about the show is that the hornline is simply, not that loud.  They have pitch, balance and blend and play beautifully.  They play with a breathtaking beauty you simply don't hear in modern drum corps.

I heard Cadet's Mass in 1983, live, where it was played so beautifully you could hear a pin drop when they played those whole notes.  This current corps does complete homage to the quality of that Cadet's 1983 championship corps.

The quality of the show design is superb and in my opinion is a MAJOR step above last year's offering.  I think they have a great product that has ONLY upswing potential in the upcoming season.

I can't wait to see them again.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2017 at 12:41 PM, jwillis35 said:

For those of you coming into town tonight, if you get a chance you may want to drive by Canton McKinley HS on 77 south (by the Pro Football Hall of Fame) and get a quick glance at a new stadium going up in town. The city is investing $130,000,000 into this new facility for the Pro Football HOF, but also for local H.S. and College football.  The stadium looks incredible already and may provide the Bluecoats with a new venue for the August show.  This is just my guess (nothing official), but it would make sense.  The August show is partially sponsored by the Pro Football HOF.  I imagine they will want the show in Canton for that event.  There is going to be a new HOF village near the stadium as well.  My guess is that the Massillon stadium (Paul Brown Stadium) will be used for the June show only.  But who knows, if the acoustics are not good at the new Canton HOF stadium then that could change things.  But I have a feeling that stadium will sound wonderful. 

http://www.profootballhof.com/village/stadium/

Just got back from the Bands of America regional finals at the Hall of Fame stadium. (Avon [IN] was the deserving winner, even playing only half a show--something which is very common early in the season in BOA, by the way. Of thirteen bands, I think only two had complete shows. Avon did get a penalty.)

Noise from Interstate 77 was pretty bad on this Saturday night. (And I was sitting right next to the area cordoned off for the judges.) If next year's Massillon TOC show moves there, corps better crank the volume on their ballads.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2017 at 1:05 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Just got back from the Bands of America regional finals at the Hall of Fame stadium. (Avon [IN] was the deserving winner, even playing only half a show--something which is very common early in the season in BOA, by the way. Of thirteen bands, I think only two had complete shows. Avon did get a penalty.)

Noise from Interstate 77 was pretty bad on this Saturday night. (And I was sitting right next to the area cordoned off for the judges.) If next year's Massillon TOC show moves there, corps better crank the volume on their ballads.

That's not a good sign then. I have not been in that stadium yet. Not really a BOA fan. Doesn't surprise me about Avon winning. They are an outstanding marching band. Who knows, maybe the Pro Football HOF will give the Bluecoats the choice of keeping the event in Massillon in order to preserve a better playing and listening experience. I guess we will find out soon. I have heard anything locally yet. 

Noise from I-77 was indeed a problem, but not the only issue.  It's a beautiful stadium, but how the stadium looks ranks further down the list of things to consider in what makes a great facility for a drum corps show.

In talking to some of the directors that were there they also shared concerns with parking, access to the field for bands and equipment.  They made mention that the noise factor was worse for the spectators than the bands on the field.  That becomes a MAJOR concern for a corps show.

Not sure there's a solution for that.