2017 vs. 2016 - Daily Year Over Year Comparisons

18 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Madison was in finals? I'm so confused now.

They missed finals but BAC's finals score was lower than their semis score which also happened to be lower than the scout's semi score so in the ranking of points from the last competition scouts is 12th and BAC is 13th

1 minute ago, jimthetuba said:

They missed finals but BAC's finals score was lower than their semis score which also happened to be lower than the scout's semi score so in the ranking of points from the last competition scouts is 12th and BAC is 13th

gotcha. Wasn't sure what we were comparing here - final score I guess. That can be a bit misleading since the scores on finals night tend to spread out and the middle and bottom tend to go lower?

Just now, George Dixon said:

gotcha. Wasn't sure what we were comparing here - final score I guess. That can be a bit misleading since the scores on finals night tend to spread out and the middle and bottom tend to go lower?

Yeah, at finals everyone below 5th besides PR went down.

Just now, jimthetuba said:

Yeah, at finals everyone below 5th besides PR went down.

yeah but nothing better to use so final scores make total sense... I always find this stuff interesting

June 24, 2017 vs. June 25, 2017

Several debuts tonight - Boston Crusaders in 7th, Madison Scouts in 12th, Troopers in 15th, Colts in 17th, Pioneer in 21st, and Colt Cadets in 23rd.

On the movement side, Blue Knights dropped a spot to make room for Boston Crusaders. Crossmen beat Blue Stars head to head to swap the 9/10 positions. Phantom Regiment dropped three spots to #11. Movement further down was mostly due to the addition of other corps above.

As a point of personal attention, I attended the show in Massillon, Ohio. From my perspective, the placements and spreads are pretty spot on from a performance standpoint. Troopers had a really great moment in the middle of their show that got the crowd on its feet, but overall the theme did not come through as well as I would have liked. I'm sure there's more coming. I don't really understand what the circle tarps are really there for. In this show, they were mostly getting in the way of performers marching. Boston Crusaders are for real and especially given the fact that it was their first performance, they are connecting well with the audience and much cleaner than one would expect from a corps that finished 12th last year. The Cadets have the potential to move up in the rankings as their show is really complex and challenging and much dirtier than the corps ahead right now. I understand there is still another 60-90 seconds to get on the field, which I think will do a lot to bring the show to its conclusion. From a gut feeling perspective, I LOVE the first 2/3rds of Carolina Crown's show and then am left feeling disappointed with the end. Having heard and read explanations from staff about what the intent of the design was, I "understand" that this may be on purpose, but I'm still not leaping out of my seat like I would have been otherwise. Bluecoats are incredible performers and what they are able to do is incredible, especially looking at the calendar. I did not get the same intense feelings that I got in 2016 or 2015, but they are in it to win it again. I'll be at Michigan City on 6/25 with a quick summary to share there too!

The same kind of adjustments took place last year as new corps joined the tour but mostly down in the bottom of the top 12 and beyond. 

Comparison

The difference between #1 and #5 right now is 2.650. Last year it was 4.350. Top 12 is the same as it was last year at this time although in a different order. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrumCorpsRadio said:

Several debuts tonight - Boston Crusaders in 7th, Madison Scouts in 12th, Troopers in 15th, Colts in 17th, Pioneer in 21st, and Colt Cadets in 23rd. 

Different judging panels make it hard to get very excited about this for now.

June 25, 2017 vs. June 26, 2016

Colts posted the highest increase in score (2.35) while Blue Devils C posted the highest decrease (-0.85). Two corps saw their placement increase by two spots, Carolina Crown (#3 to tie for #1) and Phantom Regiment (#11 to #9). If the season ended today, we would see one change in the top 12 with Madison Scouts taking the place of The Academy. 

Still to debut (World Class): Cascades, Genesis, Jersey Surf, Oregon Crusaders, Spirit of Atlanta.

I saw the Michigan City show live. Having never been there before, the stadium is great with a steep seating and concrete stands that make for good sound. Surrounding the stadium, though, seems to be kind of a nightmare for the corps with trucks and buses parked in lots on several different streets leaving corps members to battle traffic to get to and from equipment and the stadium. I know DCI has a good relationship with the city with open class championships there, but this seems odd to me.

This was now my third viewing (second in person) of Carolina Crown. As I said yesterday, I really love the first 2/3 or 3/4 of the show. I am gaining appreciation for the performance quality at the end but it still isn't doing it for me. This is a contender for the title for sure. I was most impressed by how well Crown's guard handled the very windy conditions during the second half of the show, definitely the strongest of the final four corps who dealt with the conditions. I was really looking forward to seeing The Cavaliers live after loving the show during the theater broadcast. Perhaps it was the overhype of being surrounded by alumni of the corps, but I was underwhelmed. It was incredibly entertaining, but the execution did not appear to be in the same category of Carolina Crown or Bluecoats and the design did not feel comparable to The Cadets or Boston Crusaders. Again, this is just based on one read of one random drum corps fan and maybe I was just expecting too much based on how much I loved the way it came across on the big screen. (Disclaimer - I tend to be turned off by hometown fans and how they talk about their corps versus other corps at shows so maybe I was overly critical by the time they took the field). Blue Stars are putting on a nice entertaining show; it's enjoyable to watch. Crossmen are putting on a very mature show that has a few carefully crafted GE moments. It is hard to compare the two because they come across so differently, but I can see why they are going back and forth score wise. I look forward to seeing both again. Madison Scouts definitely got a buzz going with their costuming and got a nice reaction from the crowd when they finished. There wasn't a lot of reaction throughout the show; I think that's mostly by design. My reaction was, "Who is Madison so mad at?" when they finished. Colts have stepped it up a notch this year even though it may not be showing in the scores right now. The uniforms look great on the field and there is a nice show here. Many around me who also saw Massillon the night before felt that they have the potential to move up a few spots and challenge Troopers. 

The biggest score increase went to Troopers (4.00) and placement movement (+3 to #10) with Pioneer losing the most in points (-1.10) and Vanguard Cadets losing ground in placement (-2 to #20). In open class, Genesis debuted at #18.

Comparison

The top 5 remain more closely aligned in scoring than last year. They are separated by 1.65 points in 2017 and were 2.25 points apart in 2016. 

June 26, 2017 vs. June 27, 2016

Bluecoats put up the largest score increase (1.90) giving them the edge in the head-to-head contest with Carolina Crown to return to sole possession of the #1 ranking. Pioneer lost 1.80 points, staying in the #21 spot. Crossmen saw the largest movement in placement, moving from 11th to 9th.

Genesis and Spirit of Atlanta make their season debuts tonight.

Blue Stars improved by 3.40 points and moved up four places from #12 to #8. No corps decreased in score, but Blue Knights and Troopers both dropped three spots to #12 and #13 respectively.

Comparison

Bluecoats opened up some space at the top with their large score increase. 2.60 points separate 1st and 3rd right now (1.40 points in '16). 3.55 points separate 1st and 5th (3.55 in '16) and 10 points from 1st to 12th (9.1 in '16). Mandarins are in the early discussions for Top 12, just 0.30 out right now after finishing in 17th last year, the corps highest finals finish ever I believe.

• Like 1

June 27, 2017 vs. June 28, 2016

Only 7 corps were in action. Genesis made its world class debut with a 55.20, good for 21st place. Spirit of Atlanta made its season debut with a 61.00, placing them in 17th. The Cadets put up the largest score increase (2.70), which moved them up two spots from 6th to 4th. Only Troopers saw a score decrease (-0.60), which had no effect on placement. Crossmen also saw a two spot increase in placement, now tied with Boston Crusaders for 7th. (Early season disclaimer - commentary is based purely on what the numbers say. When some corps are competing and others are at rehearsal, strange shake-ups occur temporarily.)

Music City debuts tonight.

Legends made its season debut in 19th place with a 54.70. The Cavaliers put up a 4.00 point increase to move from 6th to 4th place. Boston Crusaders dropped the most (-1.20), falling two places from 11th to 13th.

Comparison

The exact same number of corps have competed (25). Top 3 is the same order, top 6 is the same with The Cadets and The Cavaliers swapping out #4 and #5. If the season ended today, the most improved corps would be Pioneer (+6 positions from 2016 finish) and Boston Crusaders (+5) and the biggest decline would be Blue Devils B (-4).

Edited by DrumCorpsRadio