Whitewater Rapids

6 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

While I didn't care much for either, I thought Madison's design was superior to Boston's, and that Boston made it to Finals by outperforming Madison.

yes.

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Someone said last year that what Bluecoats did with "Downside Up"--delivering high-energy, crowd-pleasing entertainment--is what Madison did in their best years. And I think that's right.

Yes. Completely. But the design also fit modern day sheets, modern day considerations, modern day comparisons. etc. Madison has a past that most all drum corps wish they had. The trick is to harness that but then to put in an 2017 context. I think this year's offering is coming closer than the  past couple. Bravo for the design team taking those risks!!!!

Edited by westcoastblue
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Cop said:

Last time Scouts saw Blue Stars there was an 8 point spread, I'll take tonight as a good first standing.  
Long road ahoy 

Four points. 

In regards to the Blue Stars, and granted it's still early: A. they are going to be a finalist corps (they are just too good not to be), B. the competition around them really put in the work in the off season, as they did, and took it to them, C. they are good, but not as good as those in the middle and upper tier, D. they are going to have to do some editing to smooth out the show, E. their guard is okay; but not top tier caliber. Shapiro writes a mean guard book; but he doesn't recruit the talent necessary to make it work. 
Something else I've noticed with the Blue Stars is that they, sometimes, can't string together successful shows. 2010 was fantastic and 2011 and 2012 were kind of clunkers. 2014 was good and 2015 ended up being another dud. 2016 was marvelous and should have been one or two places higher and this year kind of seems like it's destined to be another so-so show. They are good; but I'm just not as excited about it as I was with last year's production. Again, it's still early; but I think they might be looking at a 10th or 11th place finish, this year.
When everyone else around you is good; you have to be better.  

Edited by corps8294

At this show last year BS  got a 61.9. The show is harder than those around which is why that visual score is low. It's dirty but so was last years early on. Kevin Ford writes some crazy drill that takes time to clean. Opening week scores have normally been down and they get their stride around the shows after the 4th. 

1 minute ago, BlueStainGlass said:

At this show last year BS  got a 61.9. The show is harder than those around which is why that visual score is low. It's dirty but so was last years early on. Kevin Ford writes some crazy drill that takes time to clean. Opening week scores have normally been down and they get their stride around the shows after the 4th. 

I'm going to respectfully disagree with you on that after being in Whitewater last night.