Pittsburgh Pileup - Tuesday, June 27

3 hours ago, Tobias said:

Vid of show tonight demonstrates Cadets are being very well received especially compared to the past 4 seasons.

I remember audiences responding pretty well to Cadets in 2013 for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I remember audiences responding pretty well to Cadets in 2013 for sure.

That's because that show has one of the best musical books put on the field (in my opinion)

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 3

Just now, Cappybara said:

That's because that show has one of the best musical books put on the field (in my opinion)

I loved it! But I liked Crown and SCV even more that year. Did not care much for BD's take on Stravinsky.

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

It's my all time favorite Cadets show. Musically speaking.

51 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Agreed. I love that show. The musical development of phrases and it's willingness to be soft and sparse... so good. 

• Like 1

Welp, these scores can get thrown out with the bath water. Honestly, why not just perform in exhibition rather than put up a panel like this. Embarrassing for DCI.

9 hours ago, barigirl78 said:

This is something that hasn't been talked about much.  In this show last year, the Cadets were 7.2 points above the Crossmen.   To go from that to 2.8, is something worth noting.

The Crossmen's gap with Bluecoats is also a few points closer than last year.  This is comparing the same show a year apart.

Can't wait to see Bones on Friday night.

10 hours ago, superOOk said:

What did you think of the ballad overall?

As stated, the soloist really did a nice job last night!! I was standing right beside one of Bluecaots brass staff, and he made it a point to clap enthusiastically after said solo (even putting his phone, which he was recording the show with at the time, under his arm to clap emphatically)!! 

The backfield playing with the mics picking up the sound seemed improved (based on what has been said) and I feel they are close to getting what they designed to happen there. I thought it was really nice, myself!! They are close to getting the balance they are trying to achieve with the sound. Very nice ballad :)

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Dr. Baggs was a very wise man!!!

His son, also Bernie, was a good friend of mine in college. At me senior recital, I had young Bernie and his girlfriend (now wife) Trisha play with me in the recital on some ancient fife and drum stuff *Three Camps", etc...). Bernie played bass and Trisha played piccolos (she was a flute major). I played snare. since Bernie was playing, I invited Dr and Mrs Baggs to the recital (plus I had been to his home many times while an undergrad). 

My first piece was a timpani solo, and just as I was going on stage, Bernie tells me that even though his dad was a brass judge, his primary instrument was percussion, especially timpani.  Imagine how this drum corps guy who had been exposed to Dr Baggs as one of THE top judges felt walking on to the stage. All  went well, glad to say.   :bored: 

• Like 5