Pittsburgh Pileup - Tuesday, June 27

9 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

The baritone soloist NAILED IT

Yay!  It kills me when I see people go after a soloist, I bet that felt good to finally get it.  I sure as hell would be terrified to play in front of audiences with such an exposed solo like that.  Can't wait to see that ballad develop.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, mfrontz said:

The baritone soloist NAILED IT

What did you think of the ballad overall?

3 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Yay!  It kills me when I see people go after a soloist, I bet that felt good to finally get it.  I sure as hell would be terrified to play in front of audiences with such an exposed solo like that.  Can't wait to see that ballad develop.  

I couldn't agree with you more. You know he is a talented musician and that solo is so exposed. He has to overcome a cold horn and a crazy range. I am so glad he is finding his sweet spot with it.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 6

6 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I couldn't agree with you more. You know he is a talented musician and that solo is so exposed. He has to overcome a cold horn and a crazy range. I am so glad he is finding his sweet spot with it.

The dude is one of those guys that can play 10 instruments. He's good.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Reminds me of judge training I had back in the mid-70's. Dr Bernard Baggs, brass judge extraordinaire, was talking to us trainees about tape commentary, and his advice was to NEVER make a negative comment about a soloist when the person messes up. His advice was to find something else to comment on, using the premise that EVERYBODY heard what the soloist had done, including the soloist...no need to make the person feel even worse.  

Dr. Baggs was a very wise man!!!

I played in a duet with DCA's Sunrisers one year. One show, we gacked the thing so badly... by far the worst we played it all year, even at rehearsals. Just one of those "anything that can go wrong..." nights. We wanted to crawl back into our drill spots when we were done.

So of course, our corps won the show, and we had to listen to it over... and over... and over again, as our corps members kept playing the tape of the winning performance.  LOL.  You are so right about the "hey, we KNOW we screwed up" thing.  :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, superOOk said:

The dude is one of those guys that can play 10 instruments. He's good.

He slays his solo in Zomby Woof. Yes, he has that killer trombone solo.

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Like 6