Track The Corps

back when i had more time in the summer, i used to make a spreadsheet with graphs that tracked scores as well as caption scores. Glad the folks at BK do it for me now. :1_grinning:

I wonder if academy/mandarins will be able to make a push for the top 12 this year, or if it is already set. 

4 hours ago, Cleveland1 said:

back when i had more time in the summer, i used to make a spreadsheet with graphs that tracked scores as well as caption scores. Glad the folks at BK do it for me now. :1_grinning:

I wonder if academy/mandarins will be able to make a push for the top 12 this year, or if it is already set. 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess the top 12 is not yet set.  Don't jump the gun on slotting.  It has only been one week since the season started.  Corps are finishing shows, others are making changes, others are adding.  There is much going on.  If it was decided this early, we could all have amore productive summer than following drum corps like the bunch on knuckleheads that we all are.  LOL

• Like 3

oh i understand. Some years there is a battle for 12th though and sometimes the battle is for 13th. Even then, there is more to a DCI season than just the top 12. 

5 hours ago, Cleveland1 said:

The Top 12  is absolutely NOT " already set " at this juncture.

A little history refresher.. from just LAST summer of 2016:

Academy..... 58.900 on 6/24

58.00 on 6/25

60.450 on 6/26

63.350 on 7/1

Academy then went on to score 86/87's at Championships and easily qualified for Championships at 11th place by a couple of points.

Academy's early season scores/ showings were no impediment at all to eventually making finals. Madison last season in late June looked solidly in Finals.... up over 5 points over both Boston and Academy at this juncture.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, BRASSO said:

The Top 12  is absolutely NOT " already set " at this juncture.

A little history refresher.. from just LAST summer of 2016:

Academy..... 58.900 on 6/24

58.00 on 6/25

60.450 on 6/26

63.350 on 7/1

Academy then went on to score 86/87's at Championships and easily qualified for Championships at 11th place by a couple of points.

Academy's early season scores/ showings were no impediment at all to eventually making finals. Madison last season in late June looked solidly in Finals.... up over 5 points over both Boston and Academy at this juncture.

Fair points indeed. With Academy, I feel they had such a special show last year that it may have elevated them beyond where they otherwise may have been. It was nearly perfect in it's design and a true joy to watch grow over the course of the season. Really something special. With Madison, I feel their show design sunk them last year, and they would have made finals had they had a better design.

It's a tale of two corps, really. One perhaps less talented with a far better designed show, and one perhaps more talented with a poor design. I've experienced that myself. I placed much higher when we had a less talented group with a great design, than a more talented group with a lesser design. When you have a great design, and spend time enhancing rather than changing, and see the positive response you're getting everything becomes a joy - rehearsing and performing. You start to distance yourselves from the groups just beneath you and start catching those just above you. It's a lot of fun and moral goes way up. When you have a lesser design and spend more time changing, it gets frustrating and moral goes down. You start seeing the gaps to those above you widen and then those below you pass them. It sucks. It's a vicious circle that's hard to escape.

I feel the reverse this year - right now Madison (and Regiment, and Blue Stars, and Crossmen, and Mandarins - the corps they have to beat to get in) have the better design. Academy will need to make changes to rise above 14th IMO, and some big changes. 

Edited by henry7184
  • Like 1