Corps member getting kicked out

1 hour ago, 84BDsop said:

Wasn't the crux of the Bridgemen one not so much the fact that some members were overaged, but WHEN they marched during the season?

I seem to recall this being discussed a while back.   Bridgemen contended that the rule could be interpreted to mean a member could march during the season UNTIL their 21st birthday, while DCI went with if they turned 21 at any tine during the season, they were out for the whole thing.

Bridgemen always said that because they weren't DCI finalists in 1974 or 1975, they were not privy to all of the DCI age requirements, thus the '77 mess.

They were found out at Whitewater, two weeks before the DCI Championship, yet DCI let them compete in all the shows on the way to Colorado.  (I was at Whitewater, as well as Boulder/Denver.)  I always thought DCI really gave Bridgemen a raw deal by using them in this manner, since they were easily a top-3 draw in '77, and without them in the lineup the Iowa and Nebraska shows would not have been half as attractive to the paying public.

Edited by Northern Thunder

30 minutes ago, Northern Thunder said:

Bridgemen always said that because they weren't DCI finalists in 1974 or 1975, they were not privy to all of the DCI age requirements, thus the '77 mess.

They were found out at Whitewater, two weeks before the DCI Championship, yet DCI let them compete in all the shows on the way to Colorado.  (I was at Whitewater, as well as Boulder/Denver.)  I always thought DCI really gave Bridgemen a raw deal by using them in this manner, since they were easily a top-3 draw in '77, and without them in the lineup the Iowa and Nebraska shows would not have been half as attractive to the paying public.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that DCI initially decided when the '77 DCI Championships rolled around that the Bridgemen were informed they would not be allowed on the field to perform and compete. Didn't the Bridgemen then have to go to court and have a judge grant them an injunction, which would allow them to perform their show ? DCI did disqualify them however ( which is their legal right ). It was a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure on Bridgemen having to go to court and get a judge's  injunction. Is my memory accurate on this.. Northern Thunder, or playing 2017 tricks on me ( haha)

Edited by BRASSO

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

My kiddo's Guardians contract says if you are booted for breaking rules, no refund at all.  If you have to leave due to medical issues before June 1, you get a partial refund.  After June 1, no refunds at all, as the corps has already had to pay the deposits on room, board, etc.  Seems fair to me.

Mike

I'm assuming any member under 18 the corp would have to have a legal guardian sign for them any contracts or rules.

1 hour ago, BRASSO said:

Didn't the Bridgemen then have to go to court and have a judge grant them an injunction, which would allow them to perform their show ? DCI did disqualify them however ( which is their legal right ). It was a long time ago, so I'm not entirely sure on Bridgemen having to go to court and get a judge's  injunction. Is my memory accurate on this.. Northern Thunder, or playing 2017 tricks on me ( haha)

Yes, I believe that is correct.  Those of us sitting in the stands at Boulder were surprised to hear Brandt Crocker announce the whole legal thing.

For awhile we weren't sure they were going to be allowed to perform.  I kept thinking to myself what a shame it would be if that huge crowd wasn't going to get to see Bridgemen perform.

• 3 years later...
On 6/30/2017 at 8:43 AM, Tim K said:

If you stop and analyze this thread, we only have a handful of stories about people being asked to leave a corps during a season, and only a few are for behavior. Do people realize how rare this is? Just about any other activity involving young people between 16 and 22 has horror stories of drug use, alcohol abuse, belligerence, leaving sites without permission, unwanted sexual advances, etc. This says something about the kids involved in drum corps and those who recruit and select them. 

I was thinking the same thing.  Sure we partied but there was never a punch thrown.  Drumcorps is a class act for young people. 

I tend to agree with Don Pescone around 33:45 into this video. 

Pretty much regular kids representative of their peers.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2017 at 8:52 AM, Chief Guns said:

Sadly i think something happened finals day with 2000 BD. Think a bass player was caught with drugs and sent home. But later that evening after BD had left to take the field for their finals run, he grabbed his uniform and drum, ran onto the field before anyone could stop him. He was immediately arrested afterward and didn't take part in retreat. Please don't quote me on all that as i may have missed something or said something false. Maybe someone who was there has more accurate info. 

I was in the stands and I saw the drummer come running out. After they were done with their performance; the staff yanked him off the field right quick. They all looked pretty p*ssed off. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I was in the stands and I saw the drummer come running out. After they were done with there performance; the staff yanked him off the field right quick. They all looked pretty p*ssed off. 

thats a mild understatement

• Like 1

On 7/21/2020 at 7:22 PM, mingusmonk said:

I tend to agree with Don Pescone around 33:45 into this video. 

Pretty much regular kids representative of their peers.

Sounds like the inverse of that Old English proverb I quoted a few times recently: drum corps shows its participants what they can achieve.