Corps member getting kicked out

2 minutes ago, crownisking said:

Interesting. Granted, I never marched so I don’t know anything, but I always assumed a corps would sooner leave a hole on the field before they put someone out there just holding a horn. 

Not necessarily.  Holes were very undesirable and people were put out there just to hold a horn and fill a vacant spot.  They were called "Plugs" in my era.  It was a tough job because often they had to learn quickly and at the last minute.  

14 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

Not necessarily.  Holes were very undesirable and people were put out there just to hold a horn and fill a vacant spot.  They were called "Plugs" in my era.  It was a tough job because often they had to learn quickly and at the last minute.  

Any idea if corps still do this today?

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

Drill are so much less symmetrical in modern Drum Corps so maybe not, but someone else would need to chime in on how it's handled today. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, crownisking said:

Quite a few corps have alternates.  One or two guard and a couple of brass I believe.  Last year, it took a quick quad pick up for Boston about a month to be able to march.

3 hours ago, crownisking said:

Interesting. Granted, I never marched so I don’t know anything, but I always assumed a corps would sooner leave a hole on the field before they put someone out there just holding a horn. 

It was 1981........people tried real hard to not have any blanks in the drill by prelims, as visual judges totally frowned on it...........people would march with broken arms, etc. and still march the spot.  She actually did quite well.....it was tough for her not to stick out, as she was in the lead soprano section...............I think we should have taught her the last note of the show....lol.......I believe DCI prelims and finals were the 2 shows that she marched all season......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Quite a few corps have alternates.  One or two guard and a couple of brass I believe.  Last year, it took a quick quad pick up for Boston about a month to be able to march.

Yeah I knew about alternates but it was always my understanding that if an alternate was put in the show, they would actually be playing and not just filling a hole. This changes everything. Even on my best day, I never had the chops needed to play with any of the big corps but I probably could’ve pulled off just the marching part. Especially since I would’ve been marching at a time when there was much less choreography to learn. 

16 hours ago, MikeD said:

I know many corps have alternates who travel with the corps for just such an emergency.

We actually had interns who were marching age that ended up filling a few holes during the last few years.  One dude near Finals straight up learned the whole drill in less than 3 days.

Mike

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 8:44 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

I don't know how accurate this is, but someone was telling me about 1997 Crossmen a while back. They said that They only had 40-something brass and at one point had to put a couple of bodies out there to field 52 members, several of which weren't brass players and only marched without playing. Can anyone corroborate? 

2 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

I don't know how accurate this is, but someone was telling me about 1997 Crossmen a while back. They said that They only had 40-something brass and at one point had to put a couple of bodies out there to field 52 members, several of which weren't brass players and only marched without playing. Can anyone corroborate? 

dunno about them but i know it's happened a lot in DCA