Corps member getting kicked out

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard about people getting kicked out for weed.  Not in my corps but other corps. I remember people hiding it in those tall shakos. I guess they figured that silly thing was good for something.  I remember seeing someone pulling their stash out of that ugly hat behind the trees in Whitewater and firing up.  

College band coming back from Canada trip one snare hid several bottles of whiskey in drum.   Customs wondered why one drum weighed so much.  He disappeared after that.  

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I heard about people getting kicked out for weed.  Not in my corps but other corps. I remember people hiding it in those tall shakos. I guess they figured that silly thing was good for something.  I remember seeing someone pulling their stash out of that ugly hat behind the trees in Whitewater and firing up.  

That explains all the corps switching from shakos to aussies in the 1970s.

• Haha 4

On 6/29/2017 at 8:43 PM, Tricia-A BD/BK Mom said:

It was a Corps Member was from the Blue Knights, finals semi-finals night 2000, in Wisconsin. Maryland He got caught with pot supposedly bought from a member of BD, that's what we were told at the time.   He was told he could not play but he ran out on the field, last minute before anyone could catch him. That was bad, everyone was afraid it could have screwed Blue Knights over because that is a huge No-No. He was not allowed on the field for retreat and he was sent home on his own dime, I think he flew. He was from Denver and it was a sad time for the Blue Knights family as the kid was very liked  loved.

Lots of incorrect info...in fact almost all of it. 

• Like 2

On 6/30/2017 at 11:43 AM, Tim K said:

If you stop and analyze this thread, we only have a handful of stories about people being asked to leave a corps during a season, and only a few are for behavior. Do people realize how rare this is? Just about any other activity involving young people between 16 and 22 has horror stories of drug use, alcohol abuse, belligerence, leaving sites without permission, unwanted sexual advances, etc. This says something about the kids involved in drum corps and those who recruit and select them. 

Boy, this didn't age well...   :tic:

• Like 3

I know at least 4 stories at the intersection of corps and member substance use/misuse. More if I count staff. I marched with 2 of the members involved in those stories and adore them both to this day. 2 of those 4 stories ended in the members' lives forever altered, and not in a good way.

I very much wish I could help rewrite policy and procedure to help corps better manage these instances when, not if, they arise. I work in an area of the country devastated by substance misuse for generations with folks trying to turn it around. The hardline, zero tolerance approach doesn't work, and can ruin the lives of young people who sought drum corps for the structure and camaraderie they perhaps couldn't access in other parts of their lives.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I know at least 4 stories at the intersection of corps and member substance use/misuse. More if I count staff. I marched with 2 of the members involved in those stories and adore them both to this day. 2 of those 4 stories ended in the members' lives forever altered, and not in a good way.

I very much wish I could help rewrite policy and procedure to help corps better manage these instances when, not if, they arise. I work in an area of the country devastated by substance misuse for generations with folks trying to turn it around. The hardline, zero tolerance approach doesn't work, and can ruin the lives of young people who sought drum corps for the structure and camaraderie they perhaps couldn't access in other parts of their lives.

This. A million percent. Don’t even get me started. I could literally write a dissertation on this. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1