Muncie Madness - June 30, 2017

11 hours ago, George Dixon said:

So if I'm understanding this correctly... we are all idiots but we should listen to your opinion as virtually gold. Quite persuasive lol 

I'm not the one calling Crown, a corps that hasn't had any reason to worry yet, a design disaster. Realistically, they will be fine and not the dumpster fire all of you pretend they are right now. 

Yes, you are an idiot if you think that the show should be criticized this heavily at this stage of the game. Come back to me in August when they're in the top 2 and you'll probably still be whining about how horrible it is

35 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I'm not dismissing what they're achieving at all. In fact, I stated in the post you quoted that they're performing the book really well. It's a technically proficient and difficult book (that's exactly what im arguing) they've been given but to me, it's demand for the sake of demand and has sacrificed all musical phrasing and flow because of it. 

It's a difficult and boring book that loses me. 

Very much agree!  Overall, I find 2017 music arrangements MUCH less pleasing than during 2016. There does seem to be a move to "out-technique" everyone. It all comes at the expense of flow, as you say. It's bit and pieces for the sake of complexity, I guess. Some of this will appeal JUST to trained audience ears.

Some of the books have every number sounding too much the same. Very little to "latch on to" in an enduring way. Just random, well-played, but incohesive, measures. Not a favorite music year for me.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fred Windish said:

Very much agree!  Overall, I find 2017 music arrangements MUCH less pleasing than during 2016. There does seem to be a move to "out-technique" everyone. It all comes at the expense of flow, as you say. It's bit and pieces for the sake of complexity, I guess. Some of this will appeal JUST to trained audience ears.

Some of the books have every number sounding too much the same. Very little to "latch on to" in an enduring way. Just random, well-played, but incohesive, measures. Not a favorite music year for me.

Just goes to tastes. I'm loving this year. SCV? BD? WOW! That being said, I think there's something out there for everyone, even within the shows with some technical spots. Lots of diversity and lots to enjoy.

Edited by Kevin.

24 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I'll be honest. When I saw E=mc^2, I was in awe of the sparkling horn runs ... I swear I could hear space between the sixteenth notes, they were that clean. Next year, I still enjoyed the arpeggios. Now, four years after their championship, the brass runs come and I just sort of roll my eyes. It just doesn't have that new and shiny impact with me anymore. 

I am not anti Crown, BTW. I went nuts when they won in 2013. I was pulling for them to win with Inferno. But, I am not buying what they are selling this year (although I do love jevtge Bach opener). I wish I was and maybe that will come, but not so far.

I understand.  And the season is still new -- who knows what will happen?

(DCP knows and sees all.  LOL!)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DCIphotographer said:

I'm not the one calling Crown, a corps that hasn't had any reason to worry yet, a design disaster. Realistically, they will be fine and not the dumpster fire all of you pretend they are right now. 

Yes, you are an idiot if you think that the show should be criticized this heavily at this stage of the game. Come back to me in August when they're in the top 2 and you'll probably still be whining about how horrible it is

Such a charmer! Lol :spitting:

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, DCIphotographer said:

May I suggest some anger counseling? It'll do you some good.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, DCIphotographer said:

They probably will, and that's fine. Theyre talking about their personal enjoyment of the show not necessarily its competitive value. You can't force people to like a show they don't but its fine if you do. I quite enjoy what Crown has this year. You can't get in a fuss every time the world doesn't agree with you.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, cube said:

Let's talk about how good the Blue Stars sound.

I thought they were amazing 

snares phenomenal 

• Like 1