Drum Corps at the Rose Bowl - July 1, 2017

I really enjoyed the City of Light.  This show is good, but not very memorable.

I would love to highlight their drill and CG design.  What I was frowning at in music and high brass, I was smiling at in drill... also as always, I can count on Phantom having a quality flugel soloist!

Wow.  Phantom sounded . . . not the best.  Not sure if it was the mic placement or just no bueno.  But, wow!  On the bright side, is it just me or is that solo in the ballad the opening of All By Myself?  Now if they had just played that straight through, then that would have been something!  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, KVG_DC said:

It's super rough still. They need to clean and start fixing stuff.  But, if Phantom is true to form and starts performing the hell out of this by Allentown as they have with past shows, it'll really sparkle. 

The drill has some really effective moments. 

The show is in this shape, and they're still scoring where they are scoring.

The visual isn't bad, but the endurance and horns need work, which is very uncharacteristic of Regiment,

• Like 1

1 minute ago, geluf said:

The intonation was off from the start and got worse as things went on.  Then around the halfway point its like the tank was empty.  I hope this was a one-show fluke because otherwise that book might kill them.

Are they really young this year?

I wish FM would throw up the show title and rep while the Corps are setting up.  A LOT of these tunes I'm not familiar with, so a reminder would help. 

• Like 3

Just now, Tony L. said:

Wow.  Phantom sounded . . . not the best.  Not sure if it was the mic placement or just no bueno.  But, wow!  On the bright side, is it just me or is that solo in the ballad the opening of All By Myself?  Now if they had just played that straight through, then that would have been something!  

It's from Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto No. 2, which All By Myself is based on.

And if you want a good drum corps version of All By Myself, check out the Colts 2012 closer. I saw it live and it got a well-deserved standing O.

• Like 7

Also another observation: some people complaining about amplified sound have no problem with it in some shows where it's way more obvious... :guinesssmilie:

• Like 1