Final placement depends on . . .

Some of you guys need to chill. This dude is simply saying that based on the videos he has seen, these are the things he thinks each corps needs to work on most and that those things will probably most likely determine the final placement. Of course no one is finished, much less clean. I get his take, if you were a judge today and had to tell each corps in critique what you think they should be working on, or if you asked each corps why their plan was, the things he is taking about are the things he figures would come up today in critique based on performances right now. Yes, tigger@ ?  Trying to get the dogs off. However, I don't think these guys like to play any other way.

As for BD, tonight's performance showed a lot of changes. I dug most of em. Agree they have such yet to do to guarantee that ring. 

• Like 1

Santa Claras finals placement depends on whether they wear aussies or not lol 

8 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

Santa Claras finals placement depends on whether they wear aussies or not lol 

Love it. Thanks for the chuckle!

BUMP. I like this topic. After re-reading it today, and after seeing more shows live and via video,  pretty insightful stuff.

Great stuff tigger2. This topic is kind of being addressed in a couple of threads right now. The take here is pretty aligned with many of my own thoughts. I do think that some of the issues pointed out have been/are being addressed by some corps already. I would like to add that some corps have been performing and traveling much more frequently than others the past week or so. Doesn't seem fair but it is what it is. I assume all corps judiciously place rehearsal and change days throughout the summer. Those decisions made before the corps even competes for the first time could be super crucial. 

I like the mention of the psychological stuff that goes on each summer. I will offer a few thoughts for the corps mentioned in the original post. I know what "assuming" is said to do for you and me, but any way, there are of course assumptions here:

BD: they're BD, so confidence and letting "stuff" get to them is probably rare

SCV: have a reputation for class, I don't think any thing gets them "down"/distracted for long 

Crown: have defined confidence for the past six or more years, but perhaps the wintertime changes create some moments of question

Cavies: not sure here, last season was great, staying in that top six permanantly is tough

Cadets: seem to have been kicked the most in the off season, the early season success may carry them to the end, we will see how today goes and how the often constant juggling of places 6–10 during mid season pushes them mentally

BK: not sure here either, they're are sticking to their unique style and perhaps a strong independent psyche goes along with it

PR: for me, they have made the biggest metamorphosis this season, the show is ####### hard, they seem noticeably young, but some times diversity creates an unstop-able mental drive

Crossmen: the slow and steady rise may make for a less stressful summer compared to some in that they have entered top 12 and now stayed there, and do not look to be falling out this summer. 

Bluestars: the recent changes may create a mental boost, we will see how positively they pan out

Academy: like winning and saying in first is really tough, making finals and saying in is really tough, especially these days. It is its own kind of pressure.

Boston: some pretty big changes and early season success has probably brought some positive mental vibes

Bluecoats: see Academy above- and consult Crown. That said, their age and on-field confidence seems to be setting a new standard

Madison: often known for their swagger, we have not seen it every year this past decade like we did in the 70s-90s. Like Troop, there does seem to be an underdog fight to them more often than not

Curious what alumni of these corps would say about their corps' ability to deal with the psychological aspects of the activity year in, year out.  It would also be interesting to know some people's insight as to how a corps mental psyche may maintain year to year, though there are staff changes, some times a lot of them. 

I disagree on Crossmen, PR and Madison. I think Crossmen are one of the few to watch this season. They have an excellent show, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up battling BAC for 7th at the end of the season. They are for real. With PR, I do not see this show as a new era show, but really more of the same, and they have some pretty big guard and brass issues. Madison is radically different this year, and has their best design in years but the question here is whether they can achieve on that design. Madison has modernized, PR has not, IMO. Still very exciting year.

Edited by henry7184

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

I disagree on Crossmen, PR and Madison. I think Crossmen are one of the few to watch this season. They have an excellent show, and I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up battling BAC for 7th at the end of the season. They are for real. With PR, I do not see this show as a new era show, but really more of the same, and they have some pretty big guard and brass issues. Madison is radically different this year, and has their best design in years but the question here is whether they can achieve on that design. Madison has modernized, PR has not, IMO. Still very exciting year.

I have long thought but not stated how much I appreciate your posts. They are clear and honest, friendly and respectful.