Final placement depends on . . .

4 hours ago, ndrudy2013 said:

First of all, Devils and  Blue Coats are the top two. Crown, SCV & Cavaliers are the next group, then it's Cadets, Boston, Blue Knights and Crossmen.

After tonight Blue Devils, Bluecoats and SCV are clearly the top 3 right now.

12 minutes ago, henry7184 said:

After tonight Blue Devils, Bluecoats and SCV are clearly the top 3 right now.

I'm going to disagree, BD and Bloo right now yes, still a toss up between SCV and Crown for number 3 imo.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, derbydawg said:

Great stuff tigger2. This topic is kind of being addressed in a couple of threads right now. The take here is pretty aligned with many of my own thoughts. I do think that some of the issues pointed out have been/are being addressed by some corps already. I would like to add that some corps have been performing and traveling much more frequently than others the past week or so. Doesn't seem fair but it is what it is. I assume all corps judiciously place rehearsal and change days throughout the summer. Those decisions made before the corps even competes for the first time could be super crucial. 

I like the mention of the psychological stuff that goes on each summer. I will offer a few thoughts for the corps mentioned in the original post. I know what "assuming" is said to do for you and me, but any way, there are of course assumptions here:

BD: they're BD, so confidence and letting "stuff" get to them is probably rare

SCV: have a reputation for class, I don't think any thing gets them "down"/distracted for long 

Crown: have defined confidence for the past six or more years, but perhaps the wintertime changes create some moments of question

Cavies: not sure here, last season was great, staying in that top six permanantly is tough

Cadets: seem to have been kicked the most in the off season, the early season success may carry them to the end, we will see how today goes and how the often constant juggling of places 6–10 during mid season pushes them mentally

BK: not sure here either, they're are sticking to their unique style and perhaps a strong independent psyche goes along with it

PR: for me, they have made the biggest metamorphosis this season, the show is ####### hard, they seem noticeably young, but some times diversity creates an unstop-able mental drive

Crossmen: the slow and steady rise may make for a less stressful summer compared to some in that they have entered top 12 and now stayed there, and do not look to be falling out this summer. 

Bluestars: the recent changes may create a mental boost, we will see how positively they pan out

Academy: like winning and saying in first is really tough, making finals and saying in is really tough, especially these days. It is its own kind of pressure.

Boston: some pretty big changes and early season success has probably brought some positive mental vibes

Bluecoats: see Academy above- and consult Crown. That said, their age and on-field confidence seems to be setting a new standard

Madison: often known for their swagger, we have not seen it every year this past decade like we did in the 70s-90s. Like Troop, there does seem to be an underdog fight to them more often than not

Curious what alumni of these corps would say about their corps' ability to deal with the psychological aspects of the activity year in, year out.  It would also be interesting to know some people's insight as to how a corps mental psyche may maintain year to year, though there are staff changes, some times a lot of them. 

First, I at first thought this was the poster's prediction order. Not sure why in this order unless based on the order in which he saw videos. Tigger2?

As others have mentioned, the days of big jumps from start of season to end of season are probably long gone. I think this is due to better teaching, better planning, more ideas sharing, kids coming to corps with more training, etc. Corps have gotten so good (not that they used to not be) that I also think there is a new reality of what winning it all means, what making finals means, what making top 17 means, etc. When you see the latest World Class group this summer and realize they may be in 20th or so place, WOW! Genesis is really good and will get better over the season. They may jump some spots- but as stated earlier, those big jumps are really hard to do these days. 

Regarding the psychological state of my corps, it seems to have been different with various instructors over the years. When I marched, the visual team seemed to guid the corps most mentally.  I am told that has changed several times over since then with staff changes. With Dan Farrell there for so long, I would think he is the most steadfast entity- I do think he has handled this summer's tragedy quite well and do remember a few talks he gave the corps that were timely and effective at giving us a boost and redirecting our attention. 

Interesting topic.