Drums on the Passaic in Clifton next to Garfield

34 minutes ago, soccerguy315 said:

seems like guard should be a strength... the staff is the same as the last couple years, right?

Yes, but their work and performance is leaps above 2015 and 2016. They remind me of their 2014 colorguard. Just amazing unison work.

7 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Well after seeing this show live tonight, Cadets have me proudly eating my words. EXCELLENT show. 

What dressing will monsieur be having with his words and arugula salad? Creme du crow?

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

I haven't seen the show since the theater premiere, but I remember saying when I saw it that once they had a few design tweaks, added an ending, and starting selling the performance this show would take off. Seems like they're following through on that. Great work!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, MotoSurfBass said:

I haven't seen the show since the theater premiere, but I remember saying when I saw it that once they had a few design tweaks, added an ending, and starting selling the performance this show would take off. Seems like they're following through on that. Great work!

They won't add that ending until July 8th or so from the sounds of it. 

45 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

They won't add that ending until July 8th or so from the sounds of it. 

I'm hearing later. They want to get it right the first time.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Shewhois said:

I'm hearing later. They want to get it right the first time.

I hope not later. This show needs to have a conclusion sooner than later. 

I was there, but I wasn't posting, since I was taking photos.  Not sure how they turned out, but I can post some later.  300 miles of driving in one day for the show, but it was worth it.  I know some of the corps themselves drive further than that, so no complaints!

I wasn't focused much on the judging since most of the corps still have work left to do before the show is done.  On the ear test, Crown is way ahead of Cadets for me, but I may simply like the music more.  They definitely had the best big, full sound of the bunch, the least phasing (some really bad phasing for Colts, BTW), and technical articulation demanded of each section (the contras getting separation on every note of their run was super impressive).  I'm not as knowledgeable about percussion scoring (I play mallets but I never got to march it) but it's not as much of a liability for Crown as it was in the past, from my perspective.  It was a bit too much vocal performance for my liking, but their singer is amazing and they rose up to the challenge of live performance with a singer, which I can tell you from college band experience is harder than it should be.

Cadets style isn't usually up my alley, but they have a very strong show this year and I would have been disappointed to miss it.  It's going to hit me harder as I see it more times and get more acquainted with the source material.  Their brass did not hit as hard for me as Crown, but there weren't any deficiencies.  The costume changes are pretty wild, and I appreciate the difficulty of dancing so cleanly in those robes.  I appreciated the crowd's reaction to "In His Holy Name".  I did not appreciate the jerk who stood up and walked out of our section (right on the 50!) during the performance.

Crossmen blew me away.  The props were distracting from my angle but they communicated some sections very well ("caging" in the brass at one point).  The Exit Music ballad reminds me why I love Radiohead music in drum corps.  I know they're not going to be competing for a title but they sure sound like the finalist corps they are, and I look forward to hearing them again this year.

• Like 1