O.C. Standings 2017

I didn't realize The Company was an all-age corps.  No wonder their brass sounds so mature and fantastic!  It is going to be a treat to see and hear them via Flo Marching at Open Class finals.  Thanks for all the good information.  Blessings on you for a safe and successful trip and tour!

8 hours ago, senators said:

Hi Guys

I am the Tour Director for THE COMPANY and wanted to give you a few answers to questions 

We have just had our final show DCUK show prior to our visit over to the USA and scored 77.45 which put us in first place over Kidsgrove Scouts who scored 76.90 (We know the scores are not comparable for the DCI system.) 

[...]

We are marching the following this year

36 Brass (12/8/12/4); 13 Battery (5/3/5); 15 Front Line ; 26 Guard; 2 DM 

Thanks for reading guys and we look forward to seeing you all out there 

www.theco.org.uk 

John McNamara

What a great post! Thank you for sharing all that information. I look forward to seeing you perform at Avon Lake (15 min. from my house) and Michigan City!

(And one added virtue of having both The Company and Kidsgrove Scouts here in the same year is that it will help make it easier to figure out how scores between DCI, DCA, and DCUK/DCE are related!)

• Like 1

Powhatan was rained out on Monday. The next O.C. show will be Wednesday in Knoxville, with six of the seven corps who were to appear in Virginia.

The seventh group, Spartans, next appears at a joint DCI/DCA show on Saturday. By the way, the DCI page for that show, in Everett, Mass., is odd. It lists the three all-age exhibition corps (North Star, Muchachos, Crusaders Sr.), then the three open class corps (Raiders, 7th Regiment, Spartans), and then indicates only that there are "other performances" for 115 minutes. Heaven forbid the names of those corps be mentioned by DCI. For the record: Excelsior, Skyliners, Hurricanes, and Sunrisers; Cadets2 were also supposed to perform but they've withdrawn.

On 7/3/2017 at 1:22 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Remember that there are risks inherent in comparing scores from different shows.

AS OF JULY 19

1.  77.450* The Company -- Leicester, LEI, UK 7/16 (+3.950 7/2)

2.  70.400 Blue Devils B -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+1.100 7/15)

3.  69.750 Vanguard Cadets -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+1.800 7/15)

4.  66.350 Music City -- Knoxville, TN 7/19 (+3.500 7/15)

5.  65.200 Legends -- Knoxville, TN 7/19 (+4.650 7/15)

6.  63.250 Gold -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+2.200 7/15)

7.  61.100 Louisiana Stars -- Knoxville, TN 7/19 (+4.800 7/15)

8.  59.700 Golden Empire -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+1.650 7/15) SEASON COMPLETE (at 7th)

9.  59.100 The Battalion -- Denver, CO 7/15 (+1.400 7/12) SEASON COMPLETE (at 7th)

10.  58.800 Southwind -- Knoxville, TN 7/19 (+1.300 7/15)

11.  58.600 Watchmen -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+2.100 7/15) SEASON COMPLETE (at 9th)

12.  57.400 Heat Wave -- Knoxville, TN 7/19 (+3.450 7/15) SEASON COMPLETE (at 12th)

13.  57.100 Columbians -- Denver, CO 7/12 (-0.200 7/12) SEASON COMPLETE (at 10th)

14.  53.700 Impulse -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+2.550 7/15)

15.  53.400 Spartans -- Cranston, RI 7/3

16.  52.700 River City Rhythm -- Rochester, MN 7/9 (+0.775 7/8)

17.  51.600 7th Regiment -- Cranston, RI 7/3 (-1.300 7/2)

18.  51.100 Colt Cadets -- Dubuque, IA 7/14 (+2.150 7/11)

19.  50.400 Incognito -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+3.050 7/15) SEASON COMPLETE (at 19th)

20.  48.100 Shadow -- Madison, WI 7/9 (+2.200 7/8)

---.  48.100 Blue Devils C -- Bellflower, CA 7/16 (+1.550 7/15) SEASON COMPLETE (at 21st)

22.  46.900 Raiders -- Clifton, NJ 7/2

23.  45.350 Les Stentors -- Knoxville, TN 7/19

*DCUK score

No Score Yet (showing first perf. date)

Guardians (7/20)

Next show:  Denton on July 20

Big jumps at Knoxville. Tomorrow there will be just one score for just one corps, our last to join the fray this season.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
Edited to note the conclusion of Heat Wave's season.

On 7/18/2017 at 1:48 AM, N.E. Brigand said:

Powhatan was rained out on Monday. The next O.C. show will be Wednesday in Knoxville, with six of the seven corps who were to appear in Virginia.

The seventh group, Spartans, next appears at a joint DCI/DCA show on Saturday. By the way, the DCI page for that show, in Everett, Mass., is odd. It lists the three all-age exhibition corps (North Star, Muchachos, Crusaders Sr.), then the three open class corps (Raiders, 7th Regiment, Spartans), and then indicates only that there are "other performances" for 115 minutes. Heaven forbid the names of those corps be mentioned by DCI. For the record: Excelsior, Skyliners, Hurricanes, and Sunrisers; Cadets2 were also supposed to perform but they've withdrawn.

Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni also are there, in exhibition. Maybe they were one of the "other performances."  LOL

9 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Hawthorne Caballeros Alumni also are there, in exhibition. Maybe they were one of the "other performances."  LOL

Thanks. (I just grabbed the names of the competing DCA corps from the From the Pressbox site.) Cabs Alumni always put on a fine show.

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Well, that accounts for the 115 minutes :22_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

DCA's website says that Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights will be there too.

So basically, DCI only listed the corps who are actually sanctioned by DCI (as those other three all-age / alumni corps are).

Just like DCI's website says there's only 22 more days to see drum corps this summer.

Whereas DCA's listings are more inclusive: for the Everett show, they list all four DCA competitors, all three DCI competitors, and all six exhibition performers (five corps and one marching band).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

DCA's website says that Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights will be there too.

So basically, DCI only listed the corps who are actually sanctioned by DCI (as those other three all-age / alumni corps are).

Just like DCI's website says there's only 22 more days to see drum corps this summer.

Whereas DCA's listings are more inclusive: for the Everett show, they list all four DCA competitors, all three DCI competitors, and all six exhibition performers (five corps and one marching band).

NOT a knock on DCI here.... heck, it's their organization, their marketing, their website, they can do whatever they want. 

But... and this is my opinion only... DCA/all-age corps have long been the "red-headed stepchild" of drum corps, when it comes to recognition by DCI.

At least, in recent years, DCI has made an effort to actually acknowledge that all-age corps exist, and that there are options for anyone past the age of 22 to continue marching in drum corps if they so choose, and I applaud them for that.

Hasn't always been that way.  I remember the "feature" on all-age corps (then called senior corps) on one of the DCI TV broadcasts, circa 1989 or so... again in my opinion, it was an outright hatchet job on senior corps, basically portraying them as... well... somewhat unsavory groups any self-respecting DCI corps member would want no part of. (Like the shots of the horn player who was, shall we say, in less-than-stellar physical condition and smoking a cigarette while rehearsing, stuff like that.)

I also remember one broadcast when several DCI ageouts were asked, "now that your drum corps career is over, what are your future plans?" something like that. No hint at all of the all-age option. I think I almost threw a shoe through the TV screen when I heard that.  LOL.  How about just, "now that your DCI career is over...." instead.

Again... DCI doesn't need to mention, or acknowledge, all-age corps at all... that's their choice to do so or not. But it sure helps when they do...let's face it, DCI's marketing outreach and budget dwarfs that of DCA. 

Any nod from DCI helps spread the word about an alternative that, for various reasons, is still an unknown, or little-known, entity to many involved with marching music.

OK.... apologies for the mini-rant here.  Back to our regularly-scheduled thread. :tongue:

Edited by Fran Haring

55 minutes ago, Fran Haring said:

At least, in recent years, DCI has made an effort to actually acknowledge that all-age corps exist, and that there are options for anyone past the age of 22 to continue marching in drum corps if they so choose, and I applaud them for that.

Yeah, it has been nice to hear a few positive references to all-age corps in the "Big,Loud, and Live" cinema shows the past few years.