Related to SCV show.... 

Until you've seen it live, you haven't seen it or heard it. Everyone around me in the crowd, 50 yard line 3/4 way up, could not believe what they saw/heard. Truly visual and musical candy. Many spots to spontaneously start screaming in. Wow. They finished playing 1:30 ago and I'm still hyped. This hornline is not your average SCV hornline and the percussion section doesn't have to worry about carrying the group this year. My 7 year old was actually scared in the lot when they unleashed, because of how much power there was. He never thought it could get that loud.

• Like 3

Quick thoughts on the show:

Phenom Sound Sport was much better than I was expecting.  A mix of brass and woodwinds with a decent sized battery and front ensemble and no guard.  They performed a Japanese inspired show which held my attention and had the most unexpected part of the night when a clarinet player pretending that her instrument was a samurai sword mimed seppuku.  

Watchmen were able to convey their Valhalla themed show very well throughout.  The strength of the corps is definitely their percussion.  They need to do some cleaning for this year but seem to have a solid foundation from which to build on in future years.

Vanguard is performing at a higher level than I have seen from them in recent years and are definitely going to be in the hunt this year.  It is obviously not a finished product yet as there will be many tweaks added throughout, but this is their strongest package in recent memory.  The electronics did become a bit much during the show (the amplification of the brass and the synth), but it is probably less noticeable from the pressbox than my seats a dozen rows up from some speakers.  The opener and closer literally made my jaw drop and by the end I was laughing in disbelief at the astounding performance.

Academy has a fun show, but plays into the gimmick a bit too much.  The difficulty is definitely present compared to their last few shows, but there is still an abundance of dirt.  There are also a couple of sequences in the show where the momentum seems to grind to a halt while the corps attempts to hit you over the head with the theme.  This was incredibly noticeable during the encore when there is an extended period of front ensemble playing with "cartoon" noises being played on the synth that seem to detract from the show.  If they clean up the show and fix some of these odd passages, then this has a shot to compete for finals, but it will not be an easy road for them to take.  I really hope that by the end of the season they finish the show with the Looney Tunes end song.

Phantom was obviously missed at the show.  Dan Acheson addressed the crowd at the end of the intermission to explain the situation to everybody.  I heard that there was a card that you were able to sign that they will be presenting to the corps and donations being taken as well.  SCV playing Elsa was undoubtedly the highlight of the entire night.

Edited by AMarcher
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Cappybara said:

Is there still a link to SCV playing Elsa's?

Go to my post yesterday, it still has the FB video embedded where you watch it from the thread or click here
http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/166551-regiment-staffvolunteer-bus-in-accident/&do=findComment&comment=3637599

Vanguard is the real deal. I saw them in Santa Barbara and at the Rose Bowl.

I couldn't stop saying 'Wow' out loud during their opener. Their show is mezmorizing. They also have an amazing use of synth and emotion that are almost hypnotic. I brought my daughter to the Rose Bowl on Saturday, and she was completely attentive during Vanguard's show. They have that special something this year. I haven't seen this out of that corps since I saw them take Denver by storm in '99.

Very special year for them. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2017 at 10:59 PM, Jason Harrison said:

Related to SCV show.... 

Until you've seen it live, you haven't seen it or heard it. Everyone around me in the crowd, 50 yard line 3/4 way up, could not believe what they saw/heard. Truly visual and musical candy. Many spots to spontaneously start screaming in. Wow. They finished playing 1:30 ago and I'm still hyped. This hornline is not your average SCV hornline and the percussion section doesn't have to worry about carrying the group this year. My 7 year old was actually scared in the lot when they unleashed, because of how much power there was. He never thought it could get that loud.

I got chills just reading this, remembering experiencing the same feelings and thoughts both in the lot and in the stands. They're definitely a group that renders you speechless after seeing them live. INCREDIBLE sounds coupled with maybe even better design. And I really don't think that small ensemble gets the credit they deserve. The listening situation is impossible most of the show, and its the least difficult thing for them from my point of view. The music they play is absolutely ridiculous and just about any time they're on the move, its running. They have my favorite show at the moment and I don't think it's close. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, brassdude6171 said:

I got chills just reading this, remembering experiencing the same feelings and thoughts both in the lot and in the stands. They're definitely a group that renders you speechless after seeing them live. INCREDIBLE sounds coupled with maybe even better design. And I really don't think that small ensemble gets the credit they deserve. The listening situation is impossible most of the show, and its the least difficult thing for them from my point of view. The music they play is absolutely ridiculous and just about any time they're on the move, its running. They have my favorite show at the moment and I don't think it's close. 

Agreed. SCV is just special this year. It's a feeling that I have gotten from a handful of groups in my 24 years of watching drum corps.

Each went on to do something also very special and are on a short list. I highly recommend taking it in live.

Edited by tim_brandt
  • Like 1