Any DCI Parent ever have a convo like this?

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

My kiddo was only gone for two weeks and I'm afraid to open the "main" bag.  I swear it moves when it thinks I'm not looking directly at it.

Mike

:spitting:I left his sleeping bag in the garage for a week in 2000 because they stayed in a roach motel and I didn't want any part of that.  Then I took it to a laundry mat and washed it twice. 

1 hour ago, soccerguy315 said:

I think I tossed anything I wore in rehearsal at the end of tour.  Free day clothes were ok, but other clothes are just sweaty and stay sweaty and balled up until you reach laundry day (still have to fit them in your suitcase, so... yea, not great. lol

He never had a shirt on when I was there.  He had one heck of a harness tan every year.  And he was skinny like a camp survivor.  

• Like 1

One of hours left her butt bag (and dot book)at the laundromat a few weeks ago.  It's always something.

i remember watching the kids get ready to travel home at their finals housing site last year.  Most of them left alotbof stuff behind as they packed.  We had many trash bags full of rehearsal gear, worn our sneakers, air mattresses, about 50 water jugs and a mountain of bus boxes and food.  It was a shame to see it all go to waste....  

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Davis(this morning via text) : "Dad, I can't find my wallet anywhere".

Me: "Please call home as soon as you can".

FOUR HOURS later ( on the phone):

Davis:"Dad, the last time I remember seeing it was at the laundromat in Kokomo, Indiana. I've called them but I'm not hopeful they have it and even if they did, not sure how I would get it. I'm in Wisconsin!"

Me: "Well, we need to cancel your debit card if it's really lost...have you looked in the creases of the bus seat, checked every pocket of your book bag?..

Davis: "Yes"

Me: "Could it be somewhere in the gym you're sleeping in?"

Davis: "Yes...I've looked everywhere".

Me: "Okay son, we'll figure it out before you're at Disney on Saturday..."

Davis: " Oh no...is Disney BEFORE we come to Powder Springs" ?

Me: "Yes...and you know what's going to happen don't you? As soon as we cancel your debit card you're going to find it..."

Davis( laughing); "Probably".

Me to Laurie (my wife and CFO of the household) : "Okay, go ahead and cancel his debit card".

THIRTY SECONDS later ( on phone)

Davis : "DAD! HAVE YOU CANCELLED MY CARD? I JUST FOUND IT! I forgot that I hid it in one of my Sperrys in my suitcase!

About 10 seconds before Laurie was going to hit "Enter" to cancel his card.

Crisis averted. Carry on, my wayward son! 

( I've never heard such relief in his voice...and the young man sounds like he's having the time of his life on the road with the Cavaliers! )

All this has happened but my son DIDN'T find his card.  It really was 'way down in Kokomo'.

• Like 2

I have this conversation with my wife at least once or twice a year. The kids aren't old enough yet but give it a few more years and I'm sure I'll be having it with them too!

We had an incident last camp with SW where one of my friends lost his fanny pack. It had EVERYTHING: his dotbook, his phone, his wallet, etc. We spent maybe an hour or two before checking out looking all around the gym for it. I couldn't have imagined the stress he was under. 

It was later discovered that it had fallen into somebody else's bag seconds before he realized it was missing from his air mattress. Crisis averted! 

• Like 1

Went through about 4 electric razors in 12 weeks one summer!!!

My son lost his pump for his air mattress so he just slept on the bare gym floors all summer.  He said he didn't mind.  He said it was worse standing in line at four in the morning waiting for the outlet to recharge or borrowing other people's pumps.

Edited by luv4corps

2 hours ago, luv4corps said:

My son lost his pump for his air mattress so he just slept on the bare gym floors all summer.  He said he didn't mind.  He said it was worse standing in line at four in the morning waiting for the outlet or borrowing other people's pumps.

I had one air mattress for 3 years... eventually it was deflating overnight and I was getting headaches from the angle it left my neck every night. I threw it out shortly before Spring Training and went bare-floor-and-sleeping-bag with a pillow the rest of the season. Best sleep I ever got on tour.

• Like 2