Mankato Thunder of Drums

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

Don't be "that guy". You compete against who is in the show.  And talk about baggin' on the Blue Stars...

Blue Stars are fantastic, but theyre not exactly competitive with Bloo and they know that. Crown and Cavs also swept captions today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

Maybe you need to go back and read your own post. 

Competitive in the sense they can beat Bloo in captions. Jeez I'm sorry ok. I just don't feel the need to hype Bloo ALL the time.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brass Lover said:

Competitive in the sense they can beat Bloo in captions. Jeez I'm sorry ok. I just don't feel the need to hype Bloo ALL the time.

No worries ... Bluecoats hype themselves.

• Like 1

Let's just say, the judges got an earful tonight.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

No worries ... Bluecoats hype themselves.

Lesson learned. You step in front of the hype train you get run over! On a more positive note the 78.3 seems pretty accurate looking at the spreads Cavs and Crown had. Not that you really should compare contests but the numbers seem pretty realistic at this point.

great show tonight!

Caught Blue Stars and Bluecoats - Troopers from the side -

Blue Stars and Bluecoats had great show tonight!

Got the full effect of the Bluecoats ballad tonight - very cool -

Bluecoats closer was smoking - soloists were fantastic!

• Like 2

No scores for the All-Age corps on DCI, so it looks like MBI and Govies were only in exhibition. (Did they at least get some comments?)

Meanwhile, Legends jumped by more than four points in one day.

And River City Rhythm debuted with nearly the score that Legends had yesterday.

I put a few more photos on Twitter from the show tonight.  Everything was great, got to sit next to the parents of a Blue Stars soloist, a River City alumni from their winterline, and other great folks that made the show fun. 

Opening of Bluecoats, right before my battery died on the phone

Random highlights and thoughts---

3 MN corps to open the show!!!  Love it!!!

Ticketing/people finding the right seats/etc. was a bit of a mess, like usual, but the staff was super nice (Like usual!  Love Minnesota!)  My father predicts that this stadium is going to get a major overhaul pretty quick, as it is just about the only athletic facility on the MN State Mankato campus that has not been renovated in the past 10 years.  I love this place, but it does need handrails for the very steep steps, wider marked seats, and more access for handicapped folks.  And way more women's bathrooms.  Lots more.  (What stadium doesn't?)  Also, they really should block off a section in the stands for drum majors to stand, as all the big corps have to find a spot to squeeze in.  But with all of that, it is still the coolest stadium to see a show in!

Traffic getting out of the stadium was well managed, lots of people directing, great job on that!  Maybe one year we can do this without major construction within 500 feet of the stadium...

Everyone did great in the shows.  I really enjoyed Blue Stars much more with additions made since I saw the theater show opening night.  Bluecoats was very intense live, and you can get whiplash trying to watch everything going on.  Troopers ballad was wonderful, and about had me in tears thinking about the Phantom Regiment bus incident last night (Us old folks all remember Phantom 1991 doing the opera show, right?).  

Speaking of Troopers...thank you for an amazing encore!  We got another listen to the ballad, and then some patriotic music (I cannot remember which song, but thank goodness it was not the Stars and Stripes...maybe Battle Hymn?) to end the show.  My crew left the stands very happy :)

• Like 2