Where do scores come from?

Don't ever underestimate the lengths these organization directors will go to get their way. Judging for the most part is political pandering. Integrity - please! A paid dinner and drinks for judges will get you a better score than two days of cleaning. Some are even responsible for organizations show design and costumes. Those involved in this activity are not doing it for free. For many it's their livelihood and if they wasn't getting paid the activity would be a fraction of what it is now. Million dollar plus budgets. That's a big nut to crack every season. Trust me organizations will do just about anything for an edge. Fact is  MM's know more than those adjudicating them. Judging is all about placements and spreads, and personal bias. The final number means absolutely nothing. Don't hate the players hate the game. 

9 hours ago, Poppycock said:

Don't ever underestimate the lengths these organization directors will go to get their way. Judging for the most part is political pandering. Integrity - please! A paid dinner and drinks for judges will get you a better score than two days of cleaning. Some are even responsible for organizations show design and costumes. Those involved in this activity are not doing it for free. For many it's their livelihood and if they wasn't getting paid the activity would be a fraction of what it is now. Million dollar plus budgets. That's a big nut to crack every season. Trust me organizations will do just about anything for an edge. Fact is  MM's know more than those adjudicating them. Judging is all about placements and spreads, and personal bias. The final number means absolutely nothing. Don't hate the players hate the game. 

If that were true then one corps should score higher bc the BOD President and CEO of Lone Star Percussion is sponsoring numerous shows this summer.

Edited by JKT90

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Integrity - please! A paid dinner and drinks for judges will get you a better score than two days of cleaning.

This is a bold statement that attacks the personal character of some very influential people in DCI (Carlson, Prosperie, Low, Thompson, etc…).

The thing is... I know many DCI adjudicators on a personal one to one level; and the ones I know bleed integrity.

So, since you are the one who made the accusation, please 'place your own integrity on the line’ and cite an account where you have personal knowledge of judge bribery.  Or, you can save your integrity from damage and apologize here for making the accusation without proof.

Just now, Stu said:

This is a bold statement that attacks the personal character of some very influential people in DCI (Carlson, Prosperie, Low, Thompson, etc…).

The thing is... I know many DCI adjudicators on a personal one to one level; and the ones I know bleed integrity.

So, since you are the one who made the accusation, please 'place your own integrity on the line’ and cite an account where you have personal knowledge of judge bribery.  Or, you can save your integrity from damage and apologize here for making the accusation without proof.

Don't owe you or anyone else an apology. Now go away thank you

2 minutes ago, Poppycock said:

Don't owe you or anyone else an apology. Now go away thank you

You falsely attack the integrity and character of some very fine upstanding people and you do not owe anybody an apology.  Well alrighty then.

3 hours ago, BRASSO said:

Yes, its true, some fans have been known to have an ax to grind re, the scores over the years. One is not allowed to toss an axe onto the field at a judge however.

You can toss babies out onto the field though if you like the scores. Its a decades long tradition in DCI.

And BAC answered the age old question of whether a corps could throw powder at a judge a few years ago...

5 hours ago, Ghost said:

When ticked off at a particular judge, our drum line tossed a pair of snare sticks or from the horn line, a few pairs of white gloves at the feet of the judge who we felt screwed us..

In the very bad and naughty days of yesteryear, I know of a Corps that knew they were folding, went to their last competition in their local circuit, and afterwards, when it came to retreat they marched by the judges lined up that was the custom of the day.  The Corps felt they were underscored by the judges all season. The DM called a roll off, the horns came up and as the judges saluted the Corps and its colors, the Corps marched by playing their improvised earlier arrangement that day of " Three Blind Mice ".... lol!. True story. Judges were a bit startled with this. But the Corps was finished anyway, so they went out on their own terms. it was sort of rude, of course, but borne out of pent up frustrations. I watched it unfold as a young 10, 11 year older, and could not help but giggle like heck when they did that  " naughty " thing that day.

Edited by BRASSO