Medal or Fan Favorite?

Medal or Fan Favorite?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Would you as a marching member rather medal (top 3) or be the fan favorite?

• medal (top 3)
    • fan favorite

This one is not close...

Fan favorite.   It doesn't even have to be the fan favorite, just very entertaining.  The daily grind of drum corps is too hard not to get that "payback" from the crowd each show.

I would have never wanted to march a show like Cabaret Voltaire, or  Through a Glass, Darkly.  Not to pick on BD, but these are perfect examples of Gold medal shows that in many cases ended with golf claps and head scratching.  I know many people did/do like them but I personally never watch/listen to these shows because I am not entertained by them.

My point is that if the medal is the payoff, then that can only happen on the final night of the season.   That's a long hard summer to wait for that validation IMO.

I have no medals, but I wouldn't trade the crowd reactions we got during both my seasons for one.

Obviously, an entertaining show and a medal is what everyone should be working for and it is magic when that happens.

• Like 7

Fan favorite. 98% of the experience is not performing, not spent in uniform...so, I'd take the crowd which would enhance the experience. No way I'm gonna put in that work just for the subjective opinion of a hand full of people.

Edited by JKT90
  • Like 3

So sad that these are the options. I know I'm a dino, but BITD, unless you moved up from a B or C corp to an A corp or your A corp folded, you NEVER switched corps. You were loyal to your corp. When I moved up from my B corp to march for St. Andrews and put on that heavy cadet style white, black and gold jacket it was the proudest day of my life up to that point. We weren't very good the 2 years I marched with them, but I would not have traded it to be with a top corp or a fan favorite for anything in the world.

• Like 1

Fan favorite!

Many in the audience paid money to see you. They might have taken traveled many miles to be near you. The audience DESERVES the opportunity to applaud, cheer, and feel good about their decision to choose YOU to make that pleasure and satisfaction happen. Your REAL reward comes from the general audience, not the experts.

• Like 2

When I marched Scouts I absolutely ate up the crowd reaction. There was nothing quite like the roar at the end of the closer or the boos when scores were announced and we didn't win. As a performer making the audience happy is what it is all about.

• Like 2

What color medal?

You learn to love the show you march even if you hate it. If the show does well with the judges but not the audience you get into a protected, anti-fan bubble basically insulting the audience as not being good enough to get your art. If the shows connect with the fans and not the audience, the judges are idiots

11 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

This thread reminds me, whatever happened to the "Spirit of Disney" award that was handed out to a fan-favorite corps every year? I really want to see it brought back someday.

I believe once Disney left as corporate sponsor the award went with them.

11 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

This thread reminds me, whatever happened to the "Spirit of Disney" award that was handed out to a fan-favorite corps every year? I really want to see it brought back someday.

They should have an App for Championship week that allows the Fans to pick their favorites. For all levels of the activity from World Class on down. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, DTrooper77 said:

This one is not close...

Fan favorite.   It doesn't even have to be the fan favorite, just very entertaining.  The daily grind of drum corps is too hard not to get that "payback" from the crowd each show.

I would have never wanted to march a show like Cabaret Voltaire, or  Through a Glass, Darkly.  Not to pick on BD, but these are perfect examples of Gold medal shows that in many cases ended with golf claps and head scratching.  I know many people did/do like them but I personally never watch/listen to these shows because I am not entertained by them.

My point is that if the medal is the payoff, then that can only happen on the final night of the season.   That's a long hard summer to wait for that validation IMO.

I have no medals, but I wouldn't trade the crowd reactions we got during both my seasons for one.

Obviously, an entertaining show and a medal is what everyone should be working for and it is magic when that happens.

I'm sure none of the BD shows and their members have NO regrets performing these great shows you seem to have indicated.

:)

• Like 1