Wonderful Wausau - July 6, 2017

5 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

Blue Stars show has been generating no GE since first show..   Putting in a new ending is not going to solve the problems.  Nothing innovative about the Blue Stars show they are the last of the old school corps.   Unless they can come up with a way to generate GE and improve their Visual scores it is going to be a long season.  Saturday is going to be an important show for Blue Stars, Madison, Crossmen and Phantom.   Someone may emerge as the clear leader of the pack. 

One of the biggest issues the Blue Stars have is stringing together successful seasons. Last year's show was fantastic! They had the potential to place 7th, should have placed 8th, and ended up in 9th. This year's show is so-so; definitely finals worthy but not in the middle tier of the top 12. Talented corps with a dull show.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

One of the biggest issues the Blue Stars have is stringing together successful seasons. Last year's show was fantastic! They had the potential to place 7th, should have placed 8th, and ended up in 9th. This year's show is so-so; definitely finals worthy but not in the middle tier of the top 12. Talented corps with a dull show.

Have to agre with you. The concept feels like a marching band idea. Great talent in this corps, but like Academy this year, show design let them down.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 2

Have the Blue Stars designed better transitions between their segments yet? And have they added an ending tying the three stories together? Once they do that, I think the GE will climb again.

Multiple responses in 1.

Last year on 7/6 their GE scores were 13.2 11.8 with a final score of 67.4 and yesterday was 13.8 14.3 with a final score of 71.8.  So those saying it's a failed design is actually out doing the design that they said was superb.  Now this is just my observation and opinion which normally means squat here but last year they cane out with a skeleton and layered themes and more mid July to the end of the season.  What happened was bigger jumps after mid July than late June early July. This reminds me of a John Mapes interview  (WGI related) where he said there are 2 ways to finish a show, east coast and West coast.  East coast was to come out with a developed show that wasn't finished and West coast was to come out with a finished show and then develop. So I believe that they influenced the way the show progresses over the season. I'll be the train conductor as I ride the Stars train by myself  to finals since it seems like most are jumping off. The END crowns the work, not the beginning. 

For some reason show always autocorrect to shoe on this page.

They'll improve, but it's not a static universe - so will everyone around them. From a programming standpoint, literalism has a history of not doing so well in drum corps (the three very specific literary/filmic storylines are limiting when it comes to the types of effect they can generate). Even more to the point, does ill-fated love, in the literary sense, ever sound like "big loud marching band!" when you think about it? Ever?

Well taught, well-run organization, and they'll probably be a Finalist, but the spark of invention isn't there, and they don't have the horses, this year, to compete with those in the top 8 (which includes Boston this year).

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, vferrera said:

DCP's recap is different than DCI's.  DCP shaved .5 off Madison's score.   It's a conspiracy, I tell ya!

We have updated the scores database with the correct values. It appears the initial scores published by DCI were updated and we missed the update.

Our apologies for any confusion.

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

Multiple responses in 1.

Last year on 7/6 their GE scores were 13.2 11.8 with a final score of 67.4 and yesterday was 13.8 14.3 with a final score of 71.8.  So those saying it's a failed design is actually out doing the design that they said was superb.

Don't fall for the fallacy that scores this year are comparable to scores last year. It's all about the spreads to the corps in front of and behind them, and Stars this year are lagging in those spreads compared to 2016. Unless they've made a MASSIVE overhaul from what I saw in the theaters, their design is lacking compared to last year.

Classy move to let Madison play before the Coats for a home show of sorts if that's the case. That move helped Madison square up directly to the Stars and getting them breathing directly down their neck. Impressive movement up for those guys, the 9th place acquisition is a real dog fight this year it seems.  

• Like 3