Marvelous Minnesota, July 8

2 hours ago, henry7184 said:

And you think you're going to get a decent conversation out of this? No, my friend. No. You obviously didn't get the point of my post. That everyone has issues right now. Everyone.

I agree that everyone has issues, that's fine, but to try and belittle someone else's opinion because you have a belief in your own opinion is not what any of this is about.  Quit trying to make yourself look like you know everything and are right on everything as you are not.  You've been called out by three other people about this in this subject posting alone.  Everyone has a right to an opinion, be it good or bad, including you.  The deal is to have have a constructive conversation out of it and not make the other person feel like an idiot for posting a question or opinion.  That's how people walk away from things and last I heard, DCI would more informed people who understand what they are seeing and listening to, not just someone who gets turned off by people who would rather try to show them up by explaining in a way that makes them feel stupid.  No, that's the thing that doesn't get a decent conversation out of anyone, my friend.

• Like 2

I can see some Gaines influence, but Weber has been writing SCV's drill since 2006. I think if one were to go through the shows starting from that point, they'd find the drill is Weber's work that we're seeing in this show.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I can see some Gaines influence, but Weber has been writing SCV's drill since 2006. I think if one were to go through the shows starting from that point, they'd find the drill is Weber's work that we're seeing in this show.

100%.

the Gaines influence is minimal, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

I've said influence for the record, it still looks distinctly like Pete Weber, just with little hints of Gaines.  Like mentioned above, the props look like something he would come up with and the staging of them is MILES better than the props SCV has had as of late.  Color Guard staging also seems very improved this year which he was a master at with Cavaliers.  

In terms of the drill there are two sequences that look like Michael Gaines to me, not saying they are but the first time I saw them it just felt like him.

• The building block into that fake hit at the end of the ballad.
  • The kaleidoscopic thing in the beginning of the closer in the circle of props with the rifle in the middle of it.

This show is unmistakably the work of their amazing staff they've had the last few years, just with a little bit different program coordination and some little touches of influence from Gaines here and there.  I think they were 95% of the way there the last few years, just needed this little extra push.  

And IMO there is probably more to come.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, DrumManTx said:

I've said influence for the record, it still looks distinctly like Pete Weber, just with little hints of Gaines.  Like mentioned above, the props look like something he would come up with and the staging of them is MILES better than the props SCV has had as of late.  Color Guard staging also seems very improved this year which he was a master at with Cavaliers.  

In terms of the drill there are two sequences that look like Michael Gaines to me, not saying they are but the first time I saw them it just felt like him.

• The kaleidoscopic thing in the beginning of the closer in the circle of props with the rifle in the middle of it.

This show is unmistakably the work of their amazing staff they've had the last few years, just with a little bit different program coordination and some little touches of influence from Gaines here and there.  I think they were 95% of the way there the last few years, just needed this little extra push.  

I just hope their success can help dispell the notion that winning shows can't have great classic drill.  Their show is built so strongly on drill.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DCI-86 said:

I think Gaines' influence is more evident with the use of props (ala Aimachi) & GE/pacing of the show)

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

I agree with both of you. I definitely see his influence in the overall big picture, as I'd expect given his role. He seems to have been the missing puzzle piece.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

And for a show a judge didn't get our spiel sheet and said in critique i didn't understand your show because I didn't have a title for the show.

I feel comfortable saying that judge was a fool.

Edit: unless your show was in fact willfully obscure.

Edited by N.E. Brigand
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I feel comfortable saying that judge was a fool.

Edit: unless your show was in fact willfully obscure.

Moral of the story was dont put a jenga tower on a floor unless you plan on using it alot lol.  Multiple judges had a problem with it and our show designer never gave us input on how to fix it so yeah.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2017 at 1:07 PM, Vdad76 said:

Is an 81.9 given to a corps comparable as a corps winning with an 81.9 in another place - yes it is because it's a national linear scale used by all adjudicators for this specific set of performances.

No, it is not. You cannot compare scores from different shows. A judge giving Colorguard A a 16.0 at one show does not necessarily mean that that guard is better than Colorguard B, who was given a 15.5 on the same night at a different show. The reason BD got a 99.65 in 2014 was not because they were nearly perfect, it was because they were that much better than everyone else and the judges started scoring too high from the first corps, which caused them to run out of room for BD. If BD were placed accurately (spread wise) throughout the captions they may have won with a 100.3 or higher, but obviously we know 100 is the maximum. Scores start with the number the first corps is given and move from there. If the first corps is scored too low, everyone will be scored too low; if the first corps is scored too high, everyone will be scored to high. Crown's 81.9 in Orlando could have very well been a 79 in Minneapolis.

Edited by henry7184