Humid and Sticky Houston

6 minutes ago, youraveragenoob said:

WOW THAT WAS AMAZING!! Seeing everything live for the first time just blew me away! I could not stop smiling!

For no reason whatsoever, I will now describe my experience at show.

I went with my dad here to my first show because my parents don't trust me going on my own or without adult supervision (my dad knows nothing about drum corps by the way) I had just eaten and I was really excited to see all the corps drum lines and horn lines and stuff as we were about to park in the parking lot and I was star struck because all these people that I had been seeing on YouTube and stuff for months, are right here! So I was on a full adrenaline rush.

After we received our tickets and I got myself a Jagged Line T-Shirt we headed toward the lots. I was freaking out and getting goosebumps just walking by the crossmen front ensemble and hornline since that was literally the first time I'd ever seen either live. Now that I think back on it, I think my dad was slightly worried about me lol I could not stop smiling. I seriously could not decide if I wanted to see the Bloocoats drum line, hornline, or the Carolina Crown hornline. But I headed for the Bloo drum line anyways. The first (and last) thing I saw them do was finish up their last warmup and start setting up to play their show music, but...... because of my little experience and even less experience about lots, I thought that they were packing up (ultimate face palm) so I left disappointed (yeah I screwed up) So me and my dad made the walk to see the bloocoats hornline, and we walked in on them practicing in the sections. I started freaking out (keep in mind adrenaline rush) because I recognized their show music so I was like "AHHHHHH I KNOW WHAT THEIR PLAYING DAD" and I could not decide which section I wanted to hear (my dad was very impressed with the bloo tubas after they played their little feature) Eventually we decided (and by we I meant me) to go check out the trumpet line cause that was where most people were. Then blah blah me and my dad had our faces blown off for the first time after hearing them warm up really loudly (btw Samuel Crawford has the best hair I've ever seen) then we also got our faces blown off by Carolina crown and I freaked out again cause I knew their music too. And shortly after I got ###### off because I heard bloocoats drum line playing through the last notes of their music (yeah those epic big hits at the end) At 7:45 we walked to  the stadium and I was humming to Carolina crown and bloocoats playing their show music in the background. That was my lot experience and in another post I'll talk about my show experience cause this is getting long.  

This made me so happy.  lol

I remember my first show, I about wet myself I was so amped.  Sounds like you had a great time.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, crownisking said:

Heavy is the head that wears the crown. I think it's good for the activity that BD is so dominant. It forces everyone else to stay sharp and produce better shows. Most fans don't know it, but we're the ones that benefit the most from BD's success. 

Couldn't agree more. Look at the last four shows to beat BD in 2008/2011/2013/2016. Some of the best shows i have ever seen. 

• Like 4

I have been following drum corp for a very long time and truly don't understand some of the scoring this year. BD wining Visual and GE is a bit confusing. Their Park and Bark show has little to no GE and/or Visual. Their brass is very good and deserves to score well. Their color guard is also very good. If GE and Visual have become strictly an extension of color guard and pretty colors, prepare for little to no marching in the future. My advice to corps moving forward, stand still while playing, only march while playing slow tempo music, and play really loud. Also make sure the synth is turned up to 11. Don't forget to include pretty colors. If you truly want to impress the judges, throw in some singing that has the effect of finger nails scratching against an old fashion chalk board. SCV and BC should be leading the pack this year. While being progressive in their show designs, they continue to utilize those things that have always separated drum corps from bands. PS.....I don't hate BD as many of you might accuse me. I have always been a big BD fan. They have had great shows over the years. This year is not one of those. Members are great, staff and judging is where my disappointment originates. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chief Guns said:

Tournament of Champions. Started in 2011 i believe.

Thanks 

15 minutes ago, Midwest said:

I have been following drum corp for a very long time and truly don't understand some of the scoring this year. BD wining Visual and GE is a bit confusing. Their Park and Bark show has little to no GE and/or Visual. Their brass is very good and deserves to score well. Their color guard is also very good. If GE and Visual have become strictly an extension of color guard and pretty colors, prepare for little to no marching in the future. My advice to corps moving forward, stand still while playing, only march while playing slow tempo music, and play really loud. Also make sure the synth is turned up to 11. Don't forget to include pretty colors. If you truly want to impress the judges, throw in some singing that has the effect of finger nails scratching against an old fashion chalk board. SCV and BC should be leading the pack this year. While being progressive in their show designs, they continue to utilize those things that have always separated drum corps from bands. PS.....I don't hate BD as many of you might accuse me. I have always been a big BD fan. They have had great shows over the years. This year is not one of those. Members are great, staff and judging is where my disappointment originates. 

This is sort of where I am right now. I have no problem giving credit where credit is due, but there is an awfully suspicious amount of handwaving and selectiveness regarding benefit of the doubt in terms of design intent.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, crownisking said:

Because I'm such a sucker for storybook endings, I actually want SCV to win...but history tells us that BD will win convincingly. Either way, should be a treat to watch it unfold! 

Don't bet the farm the storybook ending won't happen. 2013 was Crown's year, but at certain points in the season, it did look like Blue Devils would win it all, especially after Allentown and prelims, but semi's and finals was a different story. In 2015, we had a different storybook ending. Things were going Crown's way, phenomenal new  ending, powerful brass, nearly perfect guard, amazing prelims and semi's show, lackluster finals, Blue Devils won. Not only was it a storybook ending for BD, BD performed "Ink,"  a show about a storybook!

Thoroughly enjoyed the show tonight! My one chance to see these corps this year live. I'm not really good at reviews but i do have a a few quick thoughts..

Vanguard is everything i expected them to be! What a show! What a guard!

Crown is heavenly, technical, and POWERFUL!

BD has such TALENT! the "thunderous goo" was the heaviest. Only corps i could feel it in my chest :/

Phantom is much better in person..those kids are hauling!

Bloo was HYPE with the crowd at the end...loved it. Such a moment

Until next year! (Hopefully no rain delays)

6 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

I have finally come to the conclusion that I don't have a firm grasp on what General Effect is in DCI.    

Just when I can say, okay, I get it... 1/10 between BD, SCV, and Crown.  I'm with you on that one.     BUT...

But then there is Bloo.  OVER 1 POINT BEHIND the leader in GE???     It's just one (more) show for Bloo.   Let's see what tomorrow brings.  :45_persevere:

Said this last week. Agree, the concept of GE is lost on me based on scoring.

What a fun night of Drum Corps.  I am glad I don't care much about scores, and just enjoy the performances and power. 

Love the SCV props and silks.  Drum line is so sharp.  I agree that the viper will probably make an appearance later

Cavies is so Bro heavy and fun (just get rid of the joke teller, please).  So much going on in the show.  I really liked the My Way Mars mashup. 

Phantom, please don't change.  Always one of my favorites, and was worried about early reports of this show.   But please get rid of some of the voice-overs.  Way over the top.  Really wanted to see them perform the encore, but the delay wiped that out.

The Berry Center is such a great spot for me for the show.  I was in the car and home in 7 minutes.

6 hours ago, Midwest said:

Most people that say these comments tend to be (but not always) brass players that base the level of difficulty of a show by how physically demanding the drill is. (Noticed I said physically demanding because there is a difference between difficult drill and physically demanding drill) The words "marching while playing" are no where on the sheets by the way. Marching is but one way to move around the field. Marching is but one skill set in the visual performance caption. The Blue Devils just tend to pick higher levels of difficulty for their members than these basic high school level skillsets. If you truly watch the show with an open mind you'll see that the entire corps is doing really advanced movement throughout the entire production.

There is more than one way to generate effect. The hornline is but one section of the drum corps. The Blue Devils have the 2 most successful visual designers of all time on their staff. Maybe we should all start asking ourselves why Jay Murphy and Scott Chandler made their decisions on that part of the show. 

Why are the brass "standing" (while doing choreography) in pods during flight of the bumble bee? Was it to generate a visual call and response? Was it to create negative space for the rifles for their killer feature?

Why are the brass just walking to a "park and bark" (while doing choreography) for the ballad? Is it to let the flag add on feature be the focus? Is it to let the music drive the effect at this moment? Is it to give the older drum corps fans what they've been begging for? (Just play a full melody and blow my face off)

There designers are brilliant. I'm beyond ecstatic for what this show Is, what it can be, the boundaries of design thst it's pushing, and that it's being rewarded by the judges. I hope this trend continues for the rest of the season.

• Like 2