Mark Thurston Lick

I know I don't post a lot, but I do read, laugh, and argue with the the screen.  But I have a question...when watching some shows online recently I happened upon a video titled, "The Mark Thurston Lick," and each year that it is presented int he drumline sounds a bit different.  Does anyone know the exact notation for the lick?

• Like 2

The years I best associate with it (91–95) are all subtly different in their own way, which is cool. If I had to write it out in my non-percussionist way, it would be: gock gock gock…gock gock gock gock

this is the video in question, and yes, it doesn't always start on 1

it's triplet based and you need all shots to make it work. anything more than is national security clearance and Mark, thank you from all of us that have stolen it for usage elsewhere hundreds if not thousands of times

Ok, from 92 on your basic pattern is this. (I am not a percussionist, don't know how it is really written or even how to write percussion.) You are thinking triplets in 3 (9/8): 

123/456/789/123/456/789.

The easiest example is actually not on the video, it is near the end of the 91 opener 'Minuano.' Only difference is that the very first beat there is also played.

Don't ask me to do the other related one yet. And I think I'm right but am ready to be corrected.

gack gack gack...gack gack gack gack

Edited by mfrontz

One of my favorite licks,  that I try to fit in as a tribute to one of my favorite arrangers when I can!