Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

I feel they have some of the best transitions and flow of show in the activity. Every nuance is always thought out. I think what gets to others is the arranging style and not seeing the minute details that are happening on the field.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whiskey said:

I feel they have some of the best transitions and flow of show in the activity. Every nuance is always thought out. I think what gets to others is the arranging style and not seeing the minute details that are happening on the field.  

Interesting in that you juxtaposed arranging (listening) and seeing. I certainly am beyond amazed at what I am seeing now in DCI; including the minute nueance details. But what I am mainly listening to now in DCI is sound that is musically disjunctive, musically confusing, incomprehensible musical phrasing, sound impact points, fast rhrythmic passages, big chords, and all sound completely driven by, dictated by, and arranged to the visual body movement. Gone is the ballance in DCI where I was mainly watching great visual art and listening to great musical composition. Now it is watching extraordinary visual art and listening to enhancing sound meant to merely keep my attention on the visual art.

• Like 5

57 minutes ago, Stu said:

Interesting in that you juxtaposed arranging (listening) and seeing. I certainly am beyond amazed at what I am seeing now in DCI; including the minute nueance details. But what I am mainly listening to now in DCI is sound that is musically disjunctive, musically confusing, incomprehensible musical phrasing, sound impact points, fast rhrythmic passages, big chords, and all sound completely driven by, dictated by, and arranged to the visual body movement. Gone is the ballance in DCI where I was mainly watching great visual art and listening to great musical composition. Now it is watching extraordinary visual art and listening to enhancing sound meant to merely keep my attention on the visual art.

Interesting take. I feel that BD too often doesn't do either. 

4 hours ago, mirrormen said:

Interesting take. I feel that BD too often doesn't do either. 

Soooo...have you seen this show live?

With regards to your opinion on the way BD switches to many different styles in a show, I think that's just personal preference. I love how each movement in BD's shows are like a different set piece in a play, creating many different moods that come together to create a cohesive concept. 

I found felliniesque to be a masterpiece in this regard

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mirrormen said:

I am not trying to be snarky at all. 

Well, don't try harder.

Seriously--and maybe you get to this in later posts, so I apologize for what I haven't read yet--there are really no specifics in your post. Give us particular moments in particular shows that we should be looking at for the purpose of this discussion. I think you'll get nowhere with BD's most ardent defenders (who perhaps may go too far at times in extolling the genius of their favorite corps) if you aren't being very, very specific. And be prepared for them to point out how other corps do the exact same things. Because every corps does, at some point.

52 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

...each movement in BD's shows are like a different set piece in a play, creating many different moods that come together to create a cohesive concept...

After reading this analysis, a person should no longer have any question as to why there are digruntled fans who no longer see this as a drum corps activity! :bleah:

• Like 2

Just now, Stu said:

After reading this analysis, a person should no longer have any question as to why there are digruntled fans who no longer see this as a drum corps activity! :bleah:

There's still marching, there's still music, but now we've thrown in another level of difficulty that I like to simply call "performance."

This activity has only, in the words of Nintendo, "leveled up"

• Like 5

6 hours ago, BDCorno said:

Soooo...have you seen this show live?

We have missed you over in the BD thread! What do you think about the show and what we are seeing so far this season?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Well, don't try harder.

Seriously--and maybe you get to this in later posts, so I apologize for what I haven't read yet--there are really no specifics in your post. Give us particular moments in particular shows that we should be looking at for the purpose of this discussion. I think you'll get nowhere with BD's most ardent defenders (who perhaps may go too far at times in extolling the genius of their favorite corps) if you aren't being very, very specific. And be prepared for them to point out how other corps do the exact same things. Because every corps does, at some point.

Responding to a poster on this thread earlier, I offered the following- eager to see if someone can at least explain to me how the three examples I gave were artistic choices that were effective design choices:

"Thanks for the tip. I will check out the BD360 series. That said, should I need a lot of coaching to get it? Someone can tell me a reason for a design choice, but that doesn't mean it works well, or even works at all. Three examples that immediately come to mind: 1) last year's blue tarp. Great opening effect. 35 seconds of distraction watching it dragged to the back field. I do not think how they got rid of it was the best artistic choice. 2) Three rifles walk with their back to you through the opening hit of 2014 to get back to the front hash. Not effective whether someone tells me that Fellini had three sons, or three statues at his house, or whatever reason, It looks like the decided they needed those three rifle guys back there for the next section, didn't plan for it initially, so they walk through the form to get where they needed to be for the next section.  The fact that they are walking through the brass block with their back to us while the rest of the guard is staged mid field creates a lot of question, and not what the audio was saying. 3) After this year's trombone feature, the corps immediately breaks into swing, out of nowhere. A friend who marched BD told me that because the show is about the corps' metamorphosis over the years and they used to play a lot of jazz, that is why that moment is in this year's show. Ok, I get the connection historically (didn't need my friend to tell me this, but love that he somehow thinks the explanation will now make that moment an effective design choice), but not based on where my emotions were just two seconds earlier. "