Need help with BD Chop and Paste, Walk and Stand approach to design

4 hours ago, mirrormen said:

Someone can tell me a reason for a design choice, but that doesn't mean it works well, or even works at all.

True. This is repeated constantly in studies of literature, film, and other arts: just because the artist has a reason for doing something doesn't make what he's doing any good.

And thanks for the specifics. BD's tarp-removal didn't bother me because BD's show distracted me with other things, so I wasn't even looking in that direction. I'll have to think about the other points you mention.

2 hours ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

It's hard to talk about this without being emotional and partisan.  I understand that.  There's always going to be the debate between Tradition and Innovation and for what it's worth I think the 2017 Blue Devils have struck a superb balance.  

The first time I saw "Metamorphosis" I was intrigued.  Does anyone recognize the cadence those sixteen snares are playing?  It's "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor," a Blue Devils staple from the 1970s.  Then the horns come in with that powerful "Night at the Museum" stuff into FOTB and it's amazing.  The rest is 1980s jazz which never goes out of style with a resurgence of awesome soloists and double high C notes all over the place.

Its innovative and traditional all at once.  Congratulations to whoever designed this.  

And it's as entertaining as hell.  It will be very difficult to beat.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 7

14 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

The first time I saw "Metamorphosis" I was intrigued.  Does anyone recognize the cadence those sixteen snares are playing?  It's "Legend of the One Eyed Sailor," a Blue Devils staple from the 1970s. gned this.  

OMG - YES, YES, YES!!!!   BD, 1976, "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor"

Check out this gem I found on YT:  The great Jim Ott in critique:

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Looks like if some people went to a high school play that wrote in its program pamphlet "welcome to the world of Harry Potter," they'd call bull because no magic is coming out of the wands, the set pieces don't look enough like Great Britain, and the actors don't all have British accents 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Nope, it is like a design team telling me, "Welcome to the world of Free Form Jazz", then presenting a structured form of music in a competitive realm where winning demands structure not free form.

11 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

OMG - YES, YES, YES!!!!   BD, 1976, "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor"

Check out this gem I found on YT:  The great Jim Ott in critique:

I saw BD play "Legend" live in 1976 and 1978 before I was old enough to march.  It  profoundly affected me as a young trumpet player.  

That tape is amazing.  Do not forget that song was played with piston-rotor bugles.

Edited by ThirdValvesAreForWimps
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Stu said:
2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Nope, it is like a design team telling me, "Welcome to the world of Free Form Jazz", then presenting a structured form of music in a competitive realm where winning demands structure not free form.

A person who seems to know it all. 

43 minutes ago, afd said:

They will complain about humans on the field. I want my robots performing. 

I guess I meant what current young DCi fans now are going to complain about in the future compared to drum corps as it is now... but this response is still funny. 

44 minutes ago, ftwdrummer said:

Because I feel obliged to drop my two cents in on this, specifically with regards to this year's BD show:

There are lots and lots of wonderful things about this show. I adore Bumblebee and how well they play it. That ballad is probably going to make me cry once I see it in person. The high brass feature and the jazz rock-out in the closer are delightful. That opener off the line is fantastic.

But right now, they don't quite cohere, to my ears.

I don't think this is a BD thing, necessarily; I think it's a this show thing.

Really, if they fixed the trombone feature (which is there, best I can tell, to serve as a bridge between the high brass feature and the jazz rock-out, but doesn't connect to either of them...so...bridge to nowhere?), it solves that problem (though, to be fair, part of my issue with the trombone feature is that it sounds like one of the songs my family sings at Passover seder every year). I could maybe do with cutting down some of the Rihanna (for the same reason as wanting less of the Crown vocalist--why do you want those instead of this absolutely wonderful hornline?), this show would be one of my favorite BD shows since I started following the activity.

Do I think they'll get there? Almost certainly. Are they there yet? Not really, no.

(Bonus points if they grab the transition material from the "jazz" to "swing" sections in the '99 show as their '99 shout-out. Also, sorry I keep coming back to the '99 show in this example--it's the purest example of a BD show changing drastically over a season that I personally have.)

One of the more enjoyable responses to my initial post. I did not mean to create a s### storm. I have said it several times on this thread, I want to get it (the design process)  like many others seem to. I have never stopped trying to enjoy them and consider myself a BD fan. There are very few corps I tend to not care for year in and year out. Thanks again. 

2 minutes ago, ComeHomeShane said:

I guess I meant what current young DCi fans now are going to complain about in the future compared to drum corps as it is now... but this response is still funny. 

Most likely I won't be around in 30 yrs. what I do hope is people have an open mind and not critical of what we do and what was done in the past. But sgain we are human and rightfully so have opinions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ThirdValvesAreForWimps said:

I saw BD play "Legend" live in 1976 and 1978 before I was old enough to march.  It  profoundly affected me as a young trumpet player.  

Bonnie Ott (melo solo) was our hero.   I didn't know her personally, but she was THE LEGEND of the "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor".   Truly incredible how she transcended the corps.  There have been some among her that have placed their face and name on the activity. She was definitely one of them - along with her brother Jim, for whom the brass trophy is appropriately named.

Pretty amazing to hear Jim Ott on critique!  Precious, just doggone precious!

Edited by drumcorpsfever
  • Like 4