Minnesota Brass

I did watch Minnesota Brass on Flo tonight. I was also surprised to see what they were able to field tonight. It was 25 brass with only 6 Sopranos. Overall, the membership didn't look, or sound, very "seasoned" either.  The drill seemed to have been written for a smaller corps, too.  I have no idea what problems they had this Winter, but it certainly appears more than half the corps decided not to do it all again in 2017. 

Govies also looked smaller.

I really wish both corps well going forward. Nice people out there.

Edited by Fred Windish

I'm sure the expansion of River City has hit them hard because our recruiting mantra to the high schoolers was join us, and we will prepare you for DCI. When I was there back in the early 2000's the Anoka Hennipen school district was a big recruiting area for us.

A respondent on Michael Boo's DCI Live Blog referred to this as a "rebuilding year" for MBI. Not sure if that person is in the know or not, but I hope so. My understanding from a post about corps finances someone made in the past year or so was that MBI was in a good financial position, so here's hoping that they can turn this around quickly. And meaning no disrespect to River City Rhythm, but in the few years of that group's existence, MBI has been by far the better corps, i.e., the better training ground, if that's how one wishes to view them. (Also DCA Open > DCI Open.)

Is it hurting DCA corps at all that they have no video to show prospective members? ("You can be part of this!" with highlights from recent years, etc.) Or does that make no difference?

They have videos, just not up in public places. Erie is bigger. White Sabres are bigger. Fusion grew over the past few seasons. Bush seems to be a bit larger.

There's always been that issue where some groups manage to grow and get things moving up while others may be trending down. Some manage the fluctuations better than others and survive. The lack of "official" videos I don't think are the real issue at this point.

52 minutes ago, BigW said:

They have videos, just not up in public places. Erie is bigger. White Sabres are bigger. Fusion grew over the past few seasons. Bush seems to be a bit larger.

There's always been that issue where some groups manage to grow and get things moving up while others may be trending down. Some manage the fluctuations better than others and survive. The lack of "official" videos I don't think are the real issue at this point.

OK, thanks for those thoughts. I guess I just wish more people knew about DCA.

It's just odd because Minnesota Brass has been a DCA force for years, as far back as the '80s, from what I remember. They never had problems with membership when the St. Croix Rivermen were around. One always has to wonder when a corps goes from being huge to being really small. Hope they can get back to where they were because the climb back up takes time is always tough. 

• Like 2

Hope to see them back real soon as the power house we all enjoy from  them .LOVE BRASS