Mandarins in finals?

1 minute ago, George Dixon said:

A lot of very quick assumptions and conclusions this young dci season

give it a couple weeks!

As is the case every year for any given corps. Mandarins are hardly ever a hype train in any given season, so please pardon us if we're excited to see them get some love in a season where they're clearly exceeding their previous years' progress. :)

• Like 5

Just now, brassboy said:

As is the case every year for any given corps. Mandarins are hardly ever a hype train in any given season, so please pardon us if we're excited to see them get some love in a season where they're clearly exceeding their previous years' progress. :)

My point is... let's not set the bar too high so that eventually improvement becomes a disappointment 

13 minutes ago, luv4corps said:

I have always wondered what it must be like to perform a show you don't like.  And you paid to do it.  OUch.  Really sad for Madison but then there is always a corps that will step right in and take your spot.  Sorry this is slightly off topic.  Go Mandies!

I remember reading that a soprano well known for Wagner roles hated the composer both musically and for his opinions, but her talents matched his music and she gave it her all. I suppose the same could hold true for a drum corps show, and this Reddit user seems to be in this category as others probably have been too. My thought would be if you believe in the show, even if it's not suited to your tastes, you could still sell it and do your best, but if you get bored and the results are poor, that could be a deadly combination.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tim K said:

I remember reading that a soprano well known for Wagner roles hated the composer both musically and for his opinions, but her talents matched his music and she gave it her all. I suppose the same could hold true for a drum corps show, and this Reddit user seems to be in this category as others probably have been too. My thought would be if you believe in the show, even if it's not suited to your tastes, you could still sell it and do your best, but if you get bored and the results are poor, that could be a deadly combination.

Having never marched myself, but being a musician, I can say I have performed countless pieces of music that left me feeling, shall we say, artistically bereft.  In many cases, I got paid for it so it was OK but in others, like at university, I just went with it.  Sometimes I would let the excitement of others draw me in if I couldn't find any within myself.  Whatever works!

Having corps like these guys do well is good for the activity. Creates more parity too. If local corps are competitive now, members who may want to move on to another corps stay put. It helps with member retention, souvie sales, and the ability to draw in a talented staff/up and comers. It helps engage alumni in terms of volunteering, offering their talents in the off season in terms of "projects" on equipment trailors or food kitchens, as well as $$$ donations. 

Edited by JKT90
added content
  • Like 3

Would love to see a new corps in finals. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, luv4corps said:

I have always wondered what it must be like to perform a show you don't like.  And you paid to do it.  OUch

I marched in a corps for 7 seasons, so not every show was entirely to my liking. But in a 10 1/2-minute show, there were usually at least a few moments to really enjoy, so I'd barrel through and do my best from one such moment to the next. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BoaDci said:

They are ahead of Madison right now imo.  I read a Madison member on Reddit that much of the corps hates the show this year.  Its a real bummer.  Mandarins is clearly the better corps right now, way more passion, and clean passion at that.

Lol. What member is that? Having watched 8+ hours of rehearsals, talking to several of the men and seeing them put

their hearts and souls into this show, it's clear these guys.....ALL of them, LOVE the show that's been given to them. I think you're

just making this up. Or the person on Reddit is making it up....and probably is not a member.

• Like 2