San Antonio/Seeding Prelims Question

Someone mentioned randomizing by "6". I think (based on the article in the link provided ) it appears to be the groups of 3 "Once seeded in score order, corps will be randomly drawn within groups of three (First through third, fourth through sixth, etc.)"

Now I'm really bewitched! 

:10_wink:

Edited by bacmominator
Spelling

On 07/13/2017 at 11:57 PM, drumcorpsfever said:

Seeding order isnt' nearly as important as it used to be for scoring.   As a fan, though, I would prefer the natural progression of excellence.  I prefer to save the best for last.

The directors and designers of the higher scoring corps also prefer that type of seeding progression; because they desire for you as a fan to go to the lot and see 'their' show before the show, and then follow them into the stadium instead of you having to suffer through sitting in the stands cringing at all of those 'inferior' productions which in their eyes take resources from them.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 2:55 PM, LabMaster said:

Now wait a minute.  We have all seen and maybe many of us have been chastised for, comparing scores between shows.  "You can't compare scores, blah, blah, blah"  Right?  So unless I am not quite getting it, how can you seed corps based on scores from three separate shows?  How is the seeding then done with appropriately positioning for performance times, if the scores, not being comparables, are used?  Hopefully I asked that right.

You do raise a valid point.  

On 7/13/2017 at 5:55 PM, LabMaster said:

Now wait a minute.  We have all seen and maybe many of us have been chastised for, comparing scores between shows.  "You can't compare scores, blah, blah, blah"  Right?  So unless I am not quite getting it, how can you seed corps based on scores from three separate shows?  How is the seeding then done with appropriately positioning for performance times, if the scores, not being comparables, are used?  Hopefully I asked that right.

It is the common denominator that is simplest to apply for seeding purposes. Scores from different shows might not precisely rank corps, but they do indicate what "league" each corps is in, again, for seeding purposes. 

On 7/13/2017 at 9:36 PM, DrumManTx said:

Does that help some?  lol

Your extended and convoluted description reminded me of the following exchange:

King Arthur: “How does it... um... how does it work?”

Sir Lancelot: “I know not, my liege.”

King Arthur: “Consult the Book of Armaments.”

Brother Maynard: “Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one."

Cleric: [reading] "And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy." And the Lord did grin. And the people did feast upon the lambs, and sloths, and carp, and anchovies, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and fruit bats, and large chu...”

Brother Maynard: “Skip a bit, Brother..."

Cleric: “And the Lord spake, saying, "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin. Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it.”

Brother Maynard: “Amen.”

All: "Amen."

King Arthur: “Right. One... two... five!”

Galahad: “Three, sir.”

King Arthur: “Three!”

• Like 1

The lineup as posted on DCI.org this morning:

All times CT and subject to change

12:00 p.m. Kick Start educational workshop
12:30 p.m. Gates open
2:00 p.m. National anthem

2:10 p.m. SoundSport: Arsenal
2:20 p.m. SoundSport: Bayou City Blues
2:30 p.m. SoundSport: Horizon

2:57 p.m. Guardians – Houston, TX
3:14 p.m. Pioneer – Milwaukee, WI
3:31 p.m. Jersey Surf – Camden County, NJ
3:48 p.m. Oregon Crusaders – Portland, OR
4:05 p.m. Genesis – Austin, TX
4:22 p.m. Seattle Cascades – Seattle, WA

4:39 p.m. Intermission (51 minutes), SoundSport Awards, DrumLine Battle

5:30 p.m. Spirit of Atlanta – Atlanta, GA
5:47 p.m. Pacific Crest – Diamond Bar, CA
6:04 p.m. Troopers – Casper, WY
6:21 p.m. Mandarins – Sacramento, CA
6:38 p.m. The Academy – Tempe, AZ
6:55 p.m. Colts – Dubuque, IA
7:12 p.m. Madison Scouts – Madison, WI
7:29 p.m. Crossmen – San Antonio, TX
7:46 p.m. Blue Stars – La Crosse, WI

8:03 p.m. Intermission (17 Minutes)

8:20 p.m. Blue Knights – Denver, CO
8:37 p.m. Phantom Regiment – Rockford, IL
8:54 p.m. The Cadets – Allentown, PA
9:11 p.m. The Cavaliers – Rosemont, IL
9:28 p.m. Bluecoats – Canton, OH
9:45 p.m. Boston Crusaders – Boston, MA
10:02 p.m. Carolina Crown – Fort Mill, SC
10:19 p.m. Santa Clara Vanguard – Santa Clara, CA
10:36 p.m. Blue Devils – Concord, CA

11:00 p.m. Scores Announced

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 2:57 PM, DrumManTx said:

I guess they gotta get scores from somewhere, either that or use last years rankings.   They'll probably be in the ballpark, it's not like an 84 in Denver will equal 68 in Alexandria.   Probably +/- 1.5 max discrepancy.  

Exactly, and there's no other way to really do it.