Time to join FloMarching?

How is the quality? I haven't seen a single show this year and thought I might check out this last month of the season. Any comments on the service?

Mixed reviews, though any complaints people seem to have never seem to be universal. It probably depends on your connection/bandwidth usage while you are watching. I personally have had the stream freeze exactly one time while watching all through WGI Championship weekend, while others complain that it's consistently choppy.

Long story short, you honestly won't know until you try, but it is definitely worth trying. I personally think it's great.

• Like 2

Just now, MotoSurfBass said:

Mixed reviews, though any complaints people seem to have never seem to be universal. It probably depends on your connection/bandwidth usage while you are watching. I personally have had the stream freeze exactly one time while watching all through WGI Championship weekend, while others complain that it's consistently choppy.

Long story short, you honestly won't know until you try, but it is definitely worth trying. I personally think it's great.

I have excellent internet and usually go ahead and run a cat 6 cable from my router to my laptop for good measure. I think I'll join today or tomorrow so I can see a couple of regionals and finals. Thanks.

• Like 1

This is the weekend I stated I will be buying as well.  We are now in the window and it is time.

I suspect Flomarching will see their largest sales over the next 48 hours of any two day period since starting the DCI run.

DONE!

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, SFZFAN said:

How is the quality? I haven't seen a single show this year and thought I might check out this last month of the season. Any comments on the service?

The quality ranges from superb to craptastic. The thing that appears to influence this the most, however, is actually the corps themselves, and how they place their speaker stacks relative to the broadcast microphones. One corps can go on, and it will sound crystal clear, with extremely high audio fidelity, and the next will sound like vinyl record being played by a blender (I'm looking at you, Phantom Regiment).

Overall, FloMarching seems to be stable, with good video and audio quality. Doesn't hurt to refresh the feed between each corps and ensure your browser cache is large enough.

We have had no technical issues with Flo so far, the service has worked flawlessly. But, I do find fault with a couple things. Sound is anemic, lacking in detail and with poor sound-staging. I have an excellent home theater set-up (Marantz processor , 5.1 Triangle speakers), so that is not the problem. I keep turning up the volume hoping to get more nuance and richness, but it is simply not there. I am guessing part of the problem is mic placement in relation to the corps' speakers. 

Also, the multi-camera work is pretty bad. There are too many extended takes on minor details, while missing major visual impacts. I have yelled at the TV more than once. It reminds me of the awful Finals videos from the early 1980s. I will assume Flo is still learning each of the shows and will improve multi-cam by Finals. 

• Like 2