3 SHADES OF BLUE and friends Denver, Co

12 hours ago, Daave said:

In keeping with the whole Rorschach thingy, I interpreted them to be Corn Hole bean bags.  :laughing:

I like your interpretation better

On 7/16/2017 at 0:12 AM, Musicman1084 said:

I have so many questions regarding Blue Knights' guard, but it can be summed up with one word: Why?

Why are they not costumed to distinguish themselves more from the corps proper and allow themselves to draw visual interest?  Why the need for a costume change that looks EXACTLY the same as the prior costume?  Why are they carting around those vertigo-inducing circular props and mirrors for SO much of the show, rather than adding more effective movement and equipment work?

I call the opener circles "the hepatitis eyes," lol.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:12 PM, Musicman1084 said:

I have so many questions regarding Blue Knights' guard, but it can be summed up with one word: Why?

Why are they carting around those vertigo-inducing circular props and mirrors for SO much of the show, rather than adding more effective movement and equipment work?

As early as 7 days prior to the Denver show, those yellow circular props were used for 2 minutes and a few seconds -- less than 20% of the entire show. Is that a lot? They appear only in a portion of the percussion concerto, not even for the entire piece. I dunno; seems like a suitable amount of time to me. I do think they are eye magnets and look a bit sloppy when the unison work is even slightly off.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman

4 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

As early as 7 days prior to the Denver show, those yellow circular props were used for 2 minutes and a few seconds -- less than 20% of the entire show. Is that a lot? They appear only in a portion of the percussion concerto, not even for the entire piece. I dunno; seems like a suitable amount of time to me. I do think they are eye magnets and look a bit sloppy when the unison work is even slightly off.

To me, it's not just the fact that they appear, it's that the members are so limited in their contribution to the show.  They restrict the members' movements, so much so that they're relegated to quite literally just walking around with them for the most part, perhaps a leap here or there.  So in that regard, does their presence outweigh the effect or performance score that could be generated by the members actually contributing via movement or equipment work?

They circles also continue to appear in the closer, just in the form of mirrors.  But really, it's not just the circular props, it's also the curved poles and the pseudo rifles (the "eye" shape) that they use throughout the show.  It severely restricts the amount of time they have to apply their skills elsewhere.  It's disappointing. 

3 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

To me, it's not just the fact that they appear, it's that the members are so limited in their contribution to the show.  They restrict the members' movements, so much so that they're relegated to quite literally just walking around with them for the most part, perhaps a leap here or there.  So in that regard, does their presence outweigh the effect or performance score that could be generated by the members actually contributing via movement or equipment work?

They circles also continue to appear in the closer, just in the form of mirrors.  But really, it's not just the circular props, it's also the curved poles and the pseudo rifles (the "eye" shape) that they use throughout the show.  It severely restricts the amount of time they have to apply their skills elsewhere.  It's disappointing. 

They all portray different aspects of i/I/eye at the various points in the show.  For example, the circular mirrors are used during Hide and Seek.  The guard's movements signify people's tendency to use mirrors...and other people...to find out what and who they are as well as people's tendency to NOT see what they don't want to see or other people not revealing what they see in a person.

When watching BK's performance, it's helpful to keep this kind of thing in mind.

Edited by Mycroft
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mycroft said:

They all portray different aspects of i/I/eye at the various points in the show.  For example, the circular mirrors are used during Hide and Seek.  The guard's movements signify people's tendency to use mirrors...and other people...to find out what and who they are as well as people's tendency to NOT see what they don't want to see or other people not revealing what they see in a person.

When watching BK's performance, it's helpful to keep this kind of thing in mind.

Completely understood and certainly kept in mind.  However, does the potential GE boost outweigh the potential negative impact to the colorguard caption due to lack of dare I say "traditional" performance components? Just one man's opinion, but I don't think it does.  It's too small scale to have any sort of impact, and in terms of simultaneous responsibilities, the movement while utilizing these props doesn't seem very technical.

I will give it another viewing.  To your point, a viewer should keep these things in mind so I will give it a fresh view.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Musicman1084 said:

Why does Blue Knights continue to make the same visual decisions every year and get the same blah response? Multiple small props on a football field do not ever work. Hand held still props never work. Never. Go big or go home.

Knights are so close to being a heavyweight, but they continue to make weird, predictable and totally correctable visual mistakes that kill their entire show. Please, no more mirrors. Come up with some new ideas that actually progress the plot.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Musicman1084 said:

Completely understood and certainly kept in mind.  However, does the potential GE boost outweigh the potential negative impact to the colorguard caption due to lack of dare I say "traditional" performance components? Just one man's opinion, but I don't think it does.  It's too small scale to have any sort of impact, and in terms of simultaneous responsibilities, the movement while utilizing these props doesn't seem very technical.

I will give it another viewing.  To your point, a viewer should keep these things in mind so I will give it a fresh view.

I guess that trade-off is up to the judges.  i certainly don't know.

• Like 1

I posted some of my thoughts over on the show review board.  I know there were more things I wanted to comment on, but that's what I get for waiting 3 days before posting it!