Baron DeKalb's Regimental Tattoo - NIU 7/15

Section C row 60 seat 24.

I was about 3 rows below the judges row on the side-2 35 yard line.  Excellent seats.

• Like 1

I could only see the top half of the Cadets speakers.  For Cavaliers, the center speakers were visible but the ones beyond each side of the pit were basically stuffed under the lip of the stadium.

1 hour ago, Cavie74 said:

Section C row 60 seat 24.

I was about 3 rows below the judges row on the side-2 35 yard line.  Excellent seats.

I was much closer, row 18 (about 1/4-1/3 of the way up) on the side one 40, and I thought the balance was remarkably good all night. Now I am trying to think about the angles, etc. But the bottom line is that in year 14 of amplification, the balance for any given corps from any given listening point (live or on video) is a (still) crapshoot.

Didn't give my thoughts on Vanguard--

they have learned the Bluecoats' philosophy of props-- simple, effective shapes that can be moved around and interacted with in a million different creative ways [note this is a positive, I'm not saying they're stealing or anything]

Consistency throughout the show in brass sound, music ensemble consistently very well coordinated with all sections locked in tightly with each other.

JD Shaw's arrangements are very distinctive. Hope you like mello rips! Looked down to eat some nachos and was like, "yep, sounds like PR used to!" I'm honestly not a fan of his style

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, FTNK said:

Didn't give my thoughts on Vanguard--

they have learned the Bluecoats' philosophy of props-- simple, effective shapes that can be moved around and interacted with in a million different creative ways [note this is a positive, I'm not saying they're stealing or anything]

Consistency throughout the show in brass sound, music ensemble consistently very well coordinated with all sections locked in tightly with each other.

JD Shaw's arrangements are very distinctive. Hope you like mello rips! Looked down to eat some nachos and was like, "yep, sounds like PR used to!" I'm honestly not a fan of his style

I love JD Shaw's arrangements (being the phantom homer that I am). Shaw's mellos are consistently amazing, and it so happens that mellos are my favorite instruments used on the marching field. 

With that said, SCV isn't doing much for me this year unfortunately. The brass sounds like they're background to the percussion, I'm having a hard time picking up a melody with the aggressive music, and the brass has a harsh sound to it this year (though that may be due to the style of the music more than anything)

when it comes to JD Shaw, I like powerful, and beautiful, much like SCV 2016 and Phantom 2010. This aggressive side, I'm not as much of a fan.

Edited by Cappybara
  • Like 2

Wait.... who doesn't like mello rips????

• Like 2

I believe this would work in the Cadets ending. It couldn't hurt.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 5