DCI Northern Kentucky - Alexandria, KY - July 15

12 minutes ago, Barneveld said:

I wonder if tonight's score is "wonky" also?

lol!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I'm calling bs on BAC's brass score. They're in the low 16's not below 16.

BostonGuard is for real. I say they should have a higher differential between them and Crown. 

Notice that GE Vis score for Boston. Guard and staging are coming through!!!

Agree BAC's guard is the real deal. I think they're up there in best guard territory. Granted I haven't seen everyone yet but someone else would have to be flat perfect to be better. 

• Like 3

In this show tonite in Kentucky, with the exception of Jersey Surf ( 1 pt.) every other Corps went up less than a point from last nite.

34 minutes ago, phd-student-TTU said:

I'm calling bs on BAC's brass score. They're in the low 16's not below 16.

It's all about sampling.  Since the Brass judge is on the field, he's taking individual samples.  Might just be a wrong-place/wrong-time situation tonight.  It happens.

Analysis is the box ensemble guy, and he agrees with you.

Generally speaking, though, it's nice to see Boston making the push to be in the top-6 shuffle.  We could use some new blood up there (I know they've been Top 5 before, but I mean more recent history), and I'm a big fan of the design this year.

• Like 4

Sorry for the delay folks, but just got in from the show.  Here's my $.02 . . . . 

Cincinnati Tradition - Much better than past years.  Drums are very good and guard is MUCH improved from last year,  Flag book seems a bit overwritten at times and some performers struggle.  Brass still has some folks sticking out at higher volumes, but is still noticeably better as well.  Very pleasant to watch/hear.

Surf - Big corps and ton of volume when they elect to do that.  Brass might be their best caption right now.  Very good soloists.  Both drums and guard struggled at times.  Some noticeable tempo issues in second half of show.  Guard skirts seem more of a hindrance than a help.  COOL musical selections and the members have a blast performing.

Spirit - Drill and guard are WAY better this year.  The concept still seems a bit "out there" and could use refinement/reinforcement.  Never quite grasped what role the props had in the show.  Good soloists as well from Atlanta.  I like the new look.  Much sleeker.

Madison - Love the concept. If they can figure out a way to get the members to really sell this show, it will be dynamite.  It's good, but could be great.  Finals is within reach, but they need to commit to the role.  You can tell the audience wants this show to take off.  Guard seemed to have a good night.  

Boston - Believe the hype folks.  This show is spectacular.  The design work is so well detailed from beginning to end.  Everything makes so much sense and the storyline draws you in and keeps your interest throughout.  The guard is insane.  Might be the best guard EVAH from Boston.  Solid brass and percussion and the drill moves all over the place.  Kids are really performing the snot out of this show and are getting credit for it.  With some additional detailing and fine tuning, I could actually see this show in 5th and possibly challenging for 4th.  The use of the vocalist is subtle and engaging.  Just enough without overkill.  When she burns, the place ate that up.  

Crown -Honestly, I struggled to get into the show.  The brass is stellar, but I feel the show is a vehicle to demonstrate the technical brilliance but lacking a heart (flame away folks).  The volcalist is nice, but then I feel like she is overused in the closer.  The small stages with the pedaled set drums had me wondering "why" (as did some of the props/tarps).  Whereas last year I was totally on board with their concept, I find myself struggling this year to even understand it.  Visually, VERY clean at this point as well compared to others.  

GREAT night of corps at a great venue.

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, geluf said:

It's all about sampling.  Since the Brass judge is on the field, he's taking individual samples.  Might just be a wrong-place/wrong-time situation tonight.  It happens.

Analysis is the box ensemble guy, and he agrees with you.

Generally speaking, though, it's nice to see Boston making the push to be in the top-6 shuffle.  We could use some new blood up there (I know they've been Top 5 before, but I mean more recent history), and I'm a big fan of the design this year.

Well I did sit at the top of the stands for ensemble yesterday so that's why we're both hearing the same thing. 

I did hear a second or third bari stick out several times though. 

Edited by phd-student-TTU
  • Like 1